'02 KDX200 has "A" stamped Piston need confirmation

Got questions? We got answers....
hitechman94

'02 KDX200 has "A" stamped Piston need confirmation

Post by hitechman94 »

Hello everyone, This site is awesome. I apologize if this is covered on the site somewhere already. I have searched for my exact question/issue. I have a newly acquired like new 2002 KDX220 and I am pumped about it. It's been well taken care of and I've only ridden it once. I want to make sure the "grenading" piston issue is resolved. A ridding buddy and i pulled the top of the head last weekend and the piston has "A" stamped on it. We are guessing it's the original piston. Would this be a correct assumption? I don't want to take any chances so I am ordering a new Wiseco STD bore piston kit for it. I don't recall ever seeing letters stamped on the top of any wiseco pistons I've worked with before. Regardless, it seems a small price to pay to make sure I don't have the factory piston which could blow on me with such a nice bike. It's completely stock and I plan to change the fork springs and lower it a bit for my short legs. I appreciate any tips on the piston issue. Thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: '02 KDX200 has "A" stamped Piston need confirmation

Post by Julien D »

That's either factory, or an OEM type replacement. You are right to swap it out for a Wiseco.
skippypinecone
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by skippypinecone »

I think I have read that the Pro-X brand pistons are the factory replacements, put one in my 200 and it does come with a letter stamp. Would not put one in a 220 because of the weak skirts, I always use Wiseco and have not had a problem yet.
hitechman94

Post by hitechman94 »

Thanks guys. I ordered the Wiseco piston kit for my KDX 220. Excited about some good woods riding. 8-)