trouble getting cases split¡

Got questions? We got answers....
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

Hey guys I'm having splitting the cases on my 95kdx200. I'm using a automotive type puller and ithas worked great on other models. on this this one, its not budging it. It seems as if its just. Pressed on the bearing super tight. They are separating everywhere depth at crank bearings. Can I introduce heat to the case half im working on? Any suggestions?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: trouble getting cases split¡

Post by Julien D »

You can heat the case around the crank bearing. I'd suggest a heat gun rather than a torch. Obviously make sure all the bolts are removed!
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

This is going to sound obvious, but since I fell victim to this mistake once, I figure I'll say it anyway. Make sure you have your splitter threaded into the correct case half. Don't thread it into a hole where you removed a bolt holding the cases together, because the splitter will be pusing the crank into the right side case, not lifting the left side case. I like to thread into the stator cover bolt holes.

Good luck!
David Eckel
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

Yeah DF,
I'd prefer to go in to the stator cover holes too, the pullers I have. Don't quite. Reach that far. So I'm going in to the stator plate holes which are smaller bolts which has got me concerned bout pulling out the threads.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Don't use the stator plat holes! Get a proper splitter and do it right before you end up costing yourself more money and still have to buy the proper tool anyways.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

SS109 wrote:Don't use the stator plat holes! Get a proper splitter and do it right before you end up costing yourself more money and still have to buy the proper tool anyways.
+1
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

SS109 wrote:Don't use the stator plat holes! Get a proper splitter and do it right before you end up costing yourself more money and still have to buy the proper tool anyways.
+2
'00 KDX 220R
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

Made my own puller plate, used an old solid sprocket off a bicycle. 5/32 thick steel big enuf to drill.the five stator cover holes, bolted harmonic puller to backside. Very stout. Popped right off. Well, mostly. the bearings stayed on the crank.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

argclh6670 wrote:Made my own puller plate, used an old solid sprocket off a bicycle. 5/32 thick steel big enuf to drill.the five stator cover holes, bolted harmonic puller to backside. Very stout. Popped right off. Well, mostly. the bearings stayed on the crank.
Now this is what I need to do,BRILLIANT!Going to see if work has a peice of plate I can use.Then again I don't really want to wait till Monday,off to the stores.............
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The bearing remaining on the crank is common. Any decent crank builder should remove them for you.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

GKBO,
Sooke! the biggest king i ever caught was there! nice place. did you find what u were looking for to make ur own puller plate?
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

Thank you I like living here.Not yet ,seems I'm running into a difference between air and water cooled engines.May not need a plate,but might do it any way,see this http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=13390 .
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

yeah GK, (same puller)thats what initially tried on this engine to NO avail. worked great on my cr125 thou. plus on my bike the screws were even smaller like 5mm or 4mm not sure so i was freaked about pullijng the threads out. so that when i made the plate. give urself pc of mind and make the plate i feel its better than the tusk. more stout. but, it is also non adjustable.