sluggish 220

Got questions? We got answers....
jeeptech1

sluggish 220

Post by jeeptech1 »

ok so after two rides on my new(to me) 2000 kdx 220 i decided that this thing has to have more top end. it literally stops reving at what feels like 6000rpm. i have seen dyno charts and i know they spin 9k so i pulled the inspection plug on the kips valve and low and behold it barely jiggles under full throttle and doesnt turn. i was able to pull the boot up on the actuator rod coming from the case and it doesnt turn either. the previous owner said he had done a wiseco top end roughly 25 hours ago and the bike is clean so i believe him. i have researched as much as i can about the kips and it sorta kinda makes sense the way it works but still not clear, besides something binding in the head what would cause the actuator shaft to not turn? anyone got any good pics?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

sluggish 220

Post by rbates9 »

With everything assembled you probably won't be able to turn much by hand. Try taking the paw gear off and see if the rod coming from the side cover turns by hand. And check the rod going into the cylinder to see if that moves.
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Re: sluggish 220

Post by TheJackRabbit »

take a 10mm to the bolt and when you rev the bike turn it towards the front of the bike to see if you can break it free

just my .2 cents
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
jeeptech1

sluggish 220

Post by jeeptech1 »

Ok so which pawl gear do I take off? The actuator from the crank case should spin by hand when disconnected from the head?
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

yes take the paw gear off its a left hand thread and pull the rubber boot down and use a 6mm wrench to hold the shaft so that it doesn't break then see if you can hand turn the gear that the paw gear connects with
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

sluggish 220

Post by rbates9 »

Look at the first few pictures in the case splitting thread and you will see the paw gear and how to remove the nut.

With the paw gear off, the gear in the cylinder should move smoothly about 1/4 turn back and forth. The rod going to the side cover should not move much. It is possible that the PO bent the pin that rides in the governor when he did the top end.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

ok. Gonna check it later tonight.
jeeptech1

sluggish 220

Post by jeeptech1 »

Ok. Removed the pawl from the actuator and everything in the head turns/works without a lot of force. No carbon noticed. No excessive play in crank actuator rod and can't turn crank rod by hand. Why didn't it work? What am I missing?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

sluggish 220

Post by rbates9 »

Is it all timed right?
jeeptech1

sluggish 220

Post by jeeptech1 »

Everything in the head seems right and all moves together. I'm gonna Lube everything and put it back together and see what it does.
jeeptech1

sluggish 220

Post by jeeptech1 »

Think I found the issue. The actuator rod must not be timed in the case correctly cuz its hitting the cover when it trys to open. The rod looks new and the trans covers are spotless so I'm guessing the previous guy didn't put it back together right. Is this possible?
Last edited by jeeptech1 on 01:08 am Jan 17 2013, edited 1 time in total.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

sluggish 220

Post by rbates9 »

Yup. And he may have even broke the new parts when he put it back together. The pin on the end of the rod needs to fit right in the governor or it can get messed up.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

so is it gonna be pretty obvious what's wrong when I pull the inner case off? Anything I need to watch for taking it apart?
jeeptech1

sluggish 220

Post by jeeptech1 »

Ok. Pulled it apart. No sheared pins. Governor looks fine. Shaft looks good and not bent. But the part that connects the shaft to the gov. Seems bent. Not much but enough? [img Image [/img]
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

sluggish 220

Post by rbates9 »

This is the best picture I have of mine, Image

But from what I can see yours looks to be ok. Did you look and make sure that the paw gear was timed to the shaft correctly when you were taking it apart? Did you figure out why the parts were hitting the cover?
jeeptech1

sluggish 220

Post by jeeptech1 »

the paw gear dowl hole was sitting in the dowl on the actuator shaft when i took it apart and with the actuator closed the paw gear was sitting mid way through the teeth on the cylinder head gear (instead of to the left) cuasing the paw gear to hit the cover when the gov. tried to open (leaving a gouge in the cover). so i pulled the case apart bcuz the actuator shaft wouldnt go left anymore (pushing lightly) to try to get the dowl on the shaft lined up with the mark on cylinder gear thinking something was wrong down there. the only thing i could find was the above pic showing it slightly bent but not sure its actually bent or bent enough to cause the shaft to be a tooth or two off up at the cylinder head. so not really sure if i found the issue or not.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

sluggish 220

Post by rbates9 »

:hmm:
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

ill try to post some pics later. For some reason they aren't uploading right to kdxrider
jeeptech1

sluggish 220

Post by jeeptech1 »

heres what mine looks like
jeeptech1

sluggish 220

Post by jeeptech1 »

found that the right sub valve is incorrectly timed but the left one is correct so im gonna have to pull the jug to fix that but it still wouldnt fix the way the actuator shaft sits at the closed position.... Image shouldnt it be more to the left(top of the pic)?

like this one at the bottom of this page:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/657765 ... to-kdx200/
Last edited by jeeptech1 on 07:25 pm Jan 17 2013, edited 1 time in total.