I need to get the Stealthy fly wheel weight off my 86 200

Got questions? We got answers....
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

But the allen bolt is stripped out.So I slotted it with the Dremal and used my impact driver on it.Nothing :shock:
So I cut the slot deeper and tried again.I don't want to risk damaging the flywheel by just wailing on it.Just a note I but good penetrating oil on it a few days ago,for all the good that seems to have done :blink:
Any sugestions?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

First thing is, are you sure it has standard right hand threads? I don't know, just asking.

Second you could try using easy outs on the striped out allen. If that doesn't work then you could try to use a chisel to dig in on the edge of the bolt and try to unscrew it that way. If still nothing then you could drill out the center of the bolt until the head of the bolt is cut off. I would see if you can find out what size bolt it is and then use the same size drill bit. If it is a 8mm bolt you can use a 8mm drill bit. For what it's worth 8mm and 5/16" is the same size. Once the head is off you should be able to remove the flywheel weigh and use pliers to get the rest of the bolt out.

See what other people would do, but that would be my attempt.

One more thing, they may have used loctite on the bolt so it may need a little heat to loosen that up.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

rbates9 wrote:First thing is, are you sure it has standard right hand threads? I don't know, just asking.
No that is what I'm hoping someone knows for sure.I'm not sure how wide the head is or how big a drill to use to get the head off as I didn't put the thing on.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

GKBO wrote:
rbates9 wrote:First thing is, are you sure it has standard right hand threads? I don't know, just asking.
No that is what I'm hoping someone knows for sure.I'm not sure how wide the head is or how big a drill to use to get the head off as I didn't put the thing on.
You want a drill bit that is the same size as the shaft of the bolt, not the head. I would guess that it would be about an 8mm. the exact size isn't that critical you are just trying to cut the head off the bolt by drilling into it. As the drill cuts down into the head it will pop off when the bit hits the smaller shaft of the bolt. Really you want a drill bit just a touch larger then the threaded portion of the bolt but the threaded portion is also smaller then the size of the bolt. :hmm: Think about it like a half inch bolt will fit through a half inch hole. Make sense?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: I need to get the Stealthy fly wheel weight off my 86 20

Post by Julien D »

I'm going to assume that the crank is similar to an 89 in that the flywheel is secured by a bolt, rather than a nut. That being the case, that Allen head is probably going through the weight and flywheel into the crank. I think its about an M10. I'm with rbates, try plenty of heat, and failing that, drill the head off the hex bolt.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Yeah they have a bolt not a nut and that probably replaces it. If you drill the head off the weight should come off and then you should be able to get the bolt out. OR you might try pulling the flywheel off with the bolt still in there with the head removed, you will need a real small 3 bolt puller.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

why not weld a nut to the head of the bolt ?
that way you can put a wrench on it
(dont forget to replace the spakrplug with a bolt so that the engine wont rotate)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

diymirage wrote:why not weld a nut to the head of the bolt ?
(dont forget to replace the spakrplug with a bolt so that the engine wont rotate)
I see you haven't seen my build thread then :lol: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=13295
Where do I put the bolt now?OK I'm being a bit of a smart ass :mrgreen:
Your nut idea's not bad,If nothing else works I'll take it to work where I can get that done.
Can anyone confirm it's a right hand thread?
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Yes it is right hand threads. Stuff a rag in front of the rod to stop it from turning.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

GKBO wrote:
diymirage wrote:why not weld a nut to the head of the bolt ?
I see you haven't seen my build thread then :lol: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=13295

Where do I put the bolt now?OK I'm being a bit of a smart ass :mrgreen:
Your nut idea's not bad,If nothing else works I'll take it to work where I can get that done.
Can anyone confirm it's a right hand thread?
DIY has a hard time reading. But don't hold it against him, he is just trying to help. :wink:
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

That bolt has a nice wide head on it so you might be able to chase it off with a center punch. Before you try, I would heat it up and put some penetrating oil in there (the heat will help draw the oil in). Then let it cool and repeat the heating, penetrating oil, and cooling a few times. Then take a sharp center punch and make a nice divot at the outer edge of the bolt head and try to knock it loose. If that fails, drill that sucker.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

Thanks guys,will try some heat.Propane torch be enough heat?Hope so it's all I got here.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I usually use a heat gun but a torch will work. You don't want to get it red hot, just to the point that it is hot if you touch it.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

Cool,I tend to forget I have a heat gun.Was thinking you might be talking about an oxy-acetylene torch or maybe MAP gas.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

OK tried again yesterday with my impact driver + heat and penetrating oil.I'm expanding the slot I put in the bolt!I'm getting worried some PO put the bolt (or is it a screw?) in with something like red Lock-tite.It ain't moved a bit. :hmm:Starting to think even if I drill the head off the rest is going to be a pain to get out.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you drill the head off you will probably have enough of the bolt sticking out that you can use a small pipe wrench or pliers to get the rest out. And if you drill the head off you can pull the flywheel off and heat the shaft with your torch to loosen the loctite.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

^ Yeah that's what I would do, kinda what I say but maybe not as understandable.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

Yeah looks like the only way to go at this point.If I'm using enough force to do that to the slot she ain't going to budge this way. :sad:Keep you posted.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

Success! drilled it out but not quite far enough :oops: But I managed to jam a screwdriver underneath it and it unscrewed from there :boogie:
So I set up my new harmonic puller(not a steering wheel puller) on it with 6mm bolts out of my collection and:
Off the flywheel came with quite a pop I might add.Thought something broke till I looked further and realised it was just the wheel releasing.One of the magnets has a small chip out of it but I don't think it's anything to worry about.
A few screws out and I have a bare left side.Now to get the stripped crank bolt on the other side off.