suggestions and advice

Got questions? We got answers....
kwakers

suggestions and advice

Post by kwakers »

hey guys i got a pretty clean and decent 1994 kdx 250, was original owner and needs some work, just because i can ,im blasting & powder coating the frame and components to make it look clean, i did a compression test and got 140 psi, and have a number of items to replace, and looking for any advise or suggestions, heres my list so far

top end with `88 gasket ?
change stock pipe to a fmf, keep stock spark arester
change reeds
change jets
clutch cable

i need to redo both calipers and new pads, new levers and grips, bearings all change since its all apart, thinking of re-covering the seat black? only thing i was not planning at this time was the suspension, figured id ride it first and then look at the suspension? and then looking for some better or cleaner plastics,
would appreciate any advise as this is the first KDX Ive owned and its been over 10 years since i had a bike,,have had a kx 125 as a kid and then a `77 KH250 street bike back in the day :) gotta love the smoke machines, family and fishing came along :)

cheers

ian
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

suggestions and advice

Post by rbates9 »

Congratulations on the bike!

The first thing that you need to do is buy a manual. That will be the most important tool you will have to fix it up.

Some pictures would be great too.
kwakers

suggestions and advice

Post by kwakers »

yup a manual is a great tool, and i have found some good info here from searching and reading,, heres what the bike looked like before i stripped it down, its all in pieces now ready for powder coating, ill keep you posted as they go :)

cheers

ian
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Re: suggestions and advice

Post by argclh6670 »

nice looking KDX!
kwakers

suggestions and advice

Post by kwakers »

well here we go, no turning back now, took the frame and components, sproket and discs to be blasted and powder coated in a green that is damn close to factory colour and the rest will be in a powder that matches anodized aluminum, should be looking sweet in about a week or so.

cheers

ian
kwakers

suggestions and advice

Post by kwakers »

well the blasting and powder coating is complete, time to start rebuilding, have a parts list to get prices on and a few things left to find,,,,,,

is it spring yet :)

cheers

ian
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

suggestions and advice

Post by pumpguy »

Nice bike so far. Sorry to say you will need to remove the coating from the brake rotors, and maybe the sprocket too. See how the chain fits. Probably won't fit unless it was worn to begin with.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

yeah, i was a little surprised to see those discs aswell

everything else looks real nice though
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

suggestions and advice

Post by scheckaet »

:doh: nice job on the discs...gonna work really well...
You ARE going to have them sandblasted again, RIGHT? At least the part where the pads get in contact, as well as the parts that's in contact with the hub and mounting screw...
Be safe.
Just my 0.002.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

suggestions and advice

Post by rbates9 »

After a ride or two that paint on the rotors should be just about gone. :whistle: :pop:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

suggestions and advice

Post by scheckaet »

it ain't gonna brake for **** till then though :lol:
Covering the part you wanna keep powder coated and have the rest sandblasted seems an easier way to do it to me. :wink:
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

guys the brakes wont work nor will the pads remove this powder coat, i have the rotors at a machine shop now being skimmed and they will be good to go, sprocket was a bit worn and i figure a ride or two will fix that,,, the easiest way to do the job right with powder coating is if you can coat and then machine after, obviously if you dont have access to machining then they should be masked before hand, the issue with powder coating is the masking is done by hand, can leak be a wavy line and also a high raised ridge, machining after allows you to have clean straight lines and feathered edges,,,,thanks again guys as the build goes ill post up pics, but for now i got a long list to shop for.

cheers

ian
:supz:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

suggestions and advice

Post by scheckaet »

never thought about machining it, that's the way to go.
That will look pretty sharp and unique :supz:
How much did sandblasting + PC cost you on your side of the border, if I may ask?
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

scheckaet, ya they will look unique, that's one of my perks for working for one of north Americas largest custom powder coaters :)
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

Probably the only way I could afford PC up here.Going rate for just a frame seems to be $500.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

suggestions and advice

Post by scheckaet »

:shock: 500 bux? that ain't cheap!
Man I paid just about 100 for mine (PC only) and thought i had a good deal, now I KNOW i had a GREAT deal :supz:
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

when we did them regularly used to charge $300 a complete frame, swing arm triple trees etc, the more "bits" and different colours the price went up, stopped doing them for Joe public due to a number of issues, the price we charged was always including the steel grit blasting, all masking, powder prime and polyester top coat,, if its done right its a great investment.

cheers

ian
kwakers

suggestions and advice

Post by kwakers »

hey boys the build up is coming along and im keeping the kawasaki oem supplies going,,,hahahah by the time im done it would have been cheaper to buy a new bike,,,lol,,, but weres the fun in that?,,, anyways, totally understand the need to change the exhaust and about to order an FMF fatty pipe, question is, do i need to spend another $130 plus for a muffler or will the stock muffler work / sound ok with the pipe?? if im going to order the pipe and shipping may as well order the muffler at the same time if its essential?

thanks again

ian
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

suggestions and advice

Post by rbates9 »

The aftermarket muffler will save you some weight but that is about it. A stock isn't as pretty but works just as well.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

Thanks rbates9, i did sandblast and powder coat the stock muffler to "pretty" it up some, so i guess i can wait a while rather than dropping and additional $200 , after all i bough so far i need a breather,,lol

cheers

ian