My KDX Luggage Rack project thread

Got questions? We got answers....
xxaarraa

Post by xxaarraa »

After finding very little information on luggage rack options for the KDX, I have decided to take the plunge and do a test-and-learn. I will document it here to solicit opinions as well as share what I find.

Objective: Find a rack that fits the KDX, the primary purpose of which would be to carry two 4 gallon Rotopax fuel cells ( :lol: :shh: )

Hypothesis: A KLX250 rack may be the closest starting point. I expect there to be some sort of hacking/fabbing involved as well as relocation of my tail light and turn signals (my bike is road legal and has a Baja designs kit).

Racks I am considering (opinions welcome):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Kawasaki-K ... c8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KLX-25 ... 80&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moose-Racing-Ex ... 36&vxp=mtr

More to come...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Those racks look like they will work with little work. But, 8 gallons of gas on the back fender is a bit much don't ya think? That is going to be 65+ pounds added to the top of an already top heavy bike.
xxaarraa

Post by xxaarraa »

rbates9 wrote:Those racks look like they will work with little work. But, 8 gallons of gas on the back fender is a bit much don't ya think? That is going to be 65+ pounds added to the top of an already top heavy bike.
8 gallons should be right around 50 lbs?

It is a bit much I agree, but I need to be able to do 325 miles before refuelling. I am told this 2smoker gets 35 mpg (from previous owner) so including what's in the gas tank, I need 10 gallons. I am also looking into a 3.6 gallon extended fuel tank, but that is pricey and only cuts the weight off the back by 2 gallons.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The stock tank is about 3 gallons to start with so the 3.6 gallon is only going to give you about another .6 gallons.

Out of curiosity, why would you need to be able to carry enough fuel to go 325 miles with out fueling? Where could you go that would be at least 160 miles from a gas station?
kneekicker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: My KDX Luggage Rack project thread

Post by kneekicker »

I have had our KDX for a year and only trail ridden it and mostly at ORV parks so fuel for me hasnt been an issue,but I got around to getting a street title for mine and will be using it next year for some AMA dual sports and will be giving some enduros a try too,so now fuel will be an issue.

I looked into bigger tanks but like rbates9 said I will only gain .6 gal and cant justify $200 to gain that little. Only other choice will be carrying fuel bottles in a backpack which will suck too,but a rack that I strap the bottles to would be great. I know in the dual sport rides they always go through a town for fuel but I also have seen the lines at the gas stations,100+ bikes waiting to fill up :vom: . Inthe past it was not a big deal because I was riding my DR350 with 4gal tank getting 60+ mpg. But I know the KDX wont have that kinda range.

Keep us posted on the rack and what you have to do to make it work :pop:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You may want to look into something like http://justgastanks.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=3650 and or http://justgastanks.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=350 to get the weight a little more balanced. I have also seen, not for a KDX but for other bikes a spare fuel tank that mounts where the side number plate is. Like this http://justgastanks.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=574. That might be worth looking for as well.
kneekicker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kneekicker »

I have looked at all 3 of those already, the handlebar tank would work still at .6 gal that is about the same as a 1.5liter fuel bottle will get me for about $15 or so,but it would eliminate the chance of the bottle leaking in my pack.

I like the number plate tank also but couldnt run headlight.
xxaarraa

Post by xxaarraa »

rbates9 wrote:The stock tank is about 3 gallons to start with so the 3.6 gallon is only going to give you about another .6 gallons.

Out of curiosity, why would you need to be able to carry enough fuel to go 325 miles with out fueling? Where could you go that would be at least 160 miles from a gas station?
Oh wow, I thought the stock tank was like 2.2 gallons. But I'll take 3!

Where could I go that would be 160 miles from a gas station?! That's the mystery question :please: :grin: I am not saying anything till I know it can be done!
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

If you are willing to spend, Liquid Containment a company from australia make fuel bladders for dirt bike touring. just like the camelbak drinking system. the bladder ranges from 3L to 20L and just folds away if not in use. search their site for more infor.
A true KDX customizer!!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

xxaarraa wrote:
rbates9 wrote:The stock tank is about 3 gallons to start with so the 3.6 gallon is only going to give you about another .6 gallons.

Oh wow, I thought the stock tank was like 2.2 gallons. But I'll take 3!

Where could I go that would be 160 miles from a gas station?! That's the mystery question :please: :grin: I am not saying anything till I know it can be done!

Might want to look into a trailer.... To pull behind the bike. If you get 160 miles from a gas station then you will be spending the night and any extra room or cargo carrying capacity will be spent on fuel.

Have you thought that maybe a KDX might not be the bike for what you plan to do with a bike? I would still like to hear the plan for what you would need to have a 325 mile range for. :hmm: Prepper?
xxaarraa

Post by xxaarraa »

KDXsg wrote:If you are willing to spend, Liquid Containment a company from australia make fuel bladders for dirt bike touring. just like the camelbak drinking system. the bladder ranges from 3L to 20L and just folds away if not in use. search their site for more infor.
Wow nice link KDXsg! Thanks for the pointer, it looks like those bladders pack smaller in size for an equivalent amount of fuel volume and are a bit more flexible in terms of where you can strap them to the bike.

I have emailed liquidcontainment for more info, I will keep you posted!
xxaarraa

Post by xxaarraa »

KDXsg wrote:If you are willing to spend, Liquid Containment a company from australia make fuel bladders for dirt bike touring. just like the camelbak drinking system. the bladder ranges from 3L to 20L and just folds away if not in use. search their site for more infor.
So here is an update: I emailed liquidcontainment to ask if they would do any custom solution for me. Here is what I got back:

"We could do two x 12 litre tanks and connect them together to go over the existing fuel tank. Coonect them by velcro straps in the middle so they can be adjusted.

Price for this will be $368.00 delivered.

Regards
Paul"

This is the 12 liter (3.2 gallon) bladder in question:

I imaging it would look something like this but slung over the front radiator shrouds:

Basically, it would be like having tank panniers. If I can get all the fuel loaded in the front, that would be ideal, because then I wouldn't need a luggage rack. I can just sling my soft panniers over the rear seat and strap on other necessities to/on the rear top bag.

What do you guys think? Would having 50 lbs of extra weight over the front of the bike be too much? It would be distributed equally.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

just need to sprung the front and rear supension to the weight. definitely workable. glad you found a solution.
A true KDX customizer!!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Just remember, with that much weight on the front end your geometry will change quite bit and will change as you empty them. I would be trying to keep the weight balanced from front to rear as best I could.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
xxaarraa

Post by xxaarraa »

Minor update. No luggage rack yet, but i put all my soft bags on yesterday after going up to a 15t in the front. This setup assumes Ill get the liquid containment tank pannier fuel bladders which i dont have yet. First order of business is to test fuel range, comfort and ability to keep up a decent top speed. More to come...

KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Looking Good my friend. Do post pictures and updates once you got the fuel bladders rigged up. too bad my budget dont allow me to get the bladder yet. BTW what brand is your saddle bags? looks very much like the wolfman E10.
A true KDX customizer!!