steahly flywheel wieghts ?

Got questions? We got answers....
Acr Tom

Post by Acr Tom »

I have just finished a 2004 KDX220 and i am wondering what a steahly flywheel will do for me ? My problem is I seem to stall it to much I ride tight eastern trials n the idea of going auto i am not so sure of ? Plus the auto people do not make a kit for this old bike , so I am wondering what anyone has found out about these flywheels ? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
Thank a vet today Freedom is Not Free !
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The stalling is not a bike problem but a skill/technique problem. I know because I used to do the same thing. What causes it is that you are jabbing the rear brake before you are pulling in the clutch. The flywheel weight can help but it isn't the root of the problem. BTW, EFM does make an auto-clutch for the KDX. It is pricey but, if it is anything like my Dyna Ring, it is well worth it IMO. No stalling, climb hills like mad, smoother through corners and rough, technical terrain. Yeah, I love my auto-clutch! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I ride the tight north east trails and know what you are talking about. What are you using for sprockets? I find that gearing it down helps. With sixth gear you don't really miss the top end speed for the few chances you get to go that fast. Most of the time when I ride it is rare to even get wound out in fifth. I had thought about a flywheel weight as well but after some sprocket changes it has not been as much of a thought.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

I'm with both these guys. Fingers always "covering" the clutch lever helps immensely. If you ride really slow technical tuff a higher toothed rear sprocket could help but better clutch skills are free! My cr250 needed a fly wheel weight and made a huge difference in how well it lugged around. We ride many slow technical trails in the pnw and the way my 220 lugs I don't know that a fly wheel weight would make a good enough change for the $.
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Re: steahly flywheel wieghts ?

Post by TheJackRabbit »

The KDX compared to motocross bikes already has a quite heavy fly wheel weight installed, all be it just a heavy fly wheel, adding more weight to me sounds like overkill
I agree with those other guys, you may need to work on your technique
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

I run a heavy few on my kx to try to control/prevent wheel spin. On the kdx, I don't. I agree with the previous post about the differences between the mx and the trail bike. On the kx it is an abrupt power that I want to control. The kdx can be lugged and has a more mellow power and turn on. It makes more sense on the kx, not so much on the kdx. I wish I had auto clutch to try though to see if that would help for tight technical trails.
Acr Tom

Post by Acr Tom »

RBATES what gearing are you using I will try it ? are you interested in trials there is a national in NY Watkins Glenn 6/15/16 . I will be there it should be a good time !
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Right now I have a 12/48 with a trials tire. Next time I have to buy sprockets I will probably go with a 13/50 or so. Maybe 13/51 or 52.
Acr Tom

Post by Acr Tom »

Thanks I will order 13/51 and let you know how they are !
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You can check here http://www.gearingcommander.com/ to see what to expect from what sprockets. It looks like 12/48 is the same as 13/52. 13/51 is just a touch faster than 12/48.
Acr Tom

Post by Acr Tom »

Great site so now it at least makes some sense . I will just drop the front sprocket and see if that makes it do what I want. I just put a recluse on my gasgas 2oo that will be fun ! I am going to save up for a dyna ring for the KDX220
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

At the bottom left of the page in the link they have a chain wear indicator. If you are looking for maximum chain wear then you can look there. With my 12/48 they say that it is a very high wear ratio but I can't say that the chain is going bad too quickly.
Acr Tom

Post by Acr Tom »

At 54 I do not have time to worry about anything on this old girl wearing out ! THIS OLD GUY IS WEARING OUT :vom: So I am looking to use my stuff up so that my kids have to replace the stuff :supz:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

:lol: Good plan!