KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

The sweet smell...

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

..of antifreeze in my exhaust!

Figured it was the head gasket so I replaced it

Still smells like antifreeze!! :evil: :mad:

:prayer:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is the top of your piston clean? :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

It is now
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

DOH... Did CC put your gasket on or did you? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

yeah Carvr always works on my bikes! :roll:

I did it all by meself
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: Just ribbin' ya Wib... Time to see if it's not warped! :sad:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mr. Wibbens said the piston crown had a pretty good coat of carbon, but the head did not.

...and that what was ON the head came off easily.

That don't sound right.

But, if it's bad enough to smell I would think the coolant level would drop pretty quick, and that isn't the case.

It smokes white, too. Well...I've seen it doing that...about the time I smelled it. I don't think that happens all the time.

Why would the piston have carbon and the head not? Don't know, but I'd think the head would get considerably hotter than the piston crown.

Permatex copper coat would have been a good idea.

...but...no one ever listens to me....:(

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

canyncarvr wrote:Mr. Wibbens said the piston crown had a pretty good coat of carbon, but the head did not.

...and that what was ON the head came off easily.

That don't sound right.

But, if it's bad enough to smell I would think the coolant level would drop pretty quick, and that isn't the case.

It smokes white, too. Well...I've seen it doing that...about the time I smelled it. I don't think that happens all the time.

Why would the piston have carbon and the head not? Don't know, but I'd think the head would get considerably hotter than the piston crown.

Permatex copper coat would have been a good idea.

...but...no one ever listens to me....:(
Every time I take the head off my motor, the piston crown has baked on carbon that needs to be sraped off, whereas the head can be wiped clean with a shop rag.
I think the piston would be the hotter of the two:
A. It isn't in contact with coolant like the head is.
B. The piston also has friction induced heat as well as the combustion heat.

The only part of the head on my bike that gets cabon caked is the sparkplug, which should probably be hotter than the head itself.
So in conclusion, I think it would be normal for the head to be cooler than the piston crown and that the carbon caking on the crown to be a result of the extra heat.

So, it's not using much coolant but does smoke white and smells?
Did you check the base gasket or at least the torque of the nuts holding it down? A head gasket leak should make the carbon on the crown of the piston loosen up. (That's how I used to clean my automobile's top end and get the spark plugs unfrozen anyway, add a little water to a vacume line. )
That's all from the peanut gallery! :razz:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Well I went and gotta a can of Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket tonite on my DR.

Twas about 35* out! :shock:

We'll see if that does any good next time I tear it apart :roll:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That copper gasket is good stuff... I haven't bought a head gasket yet! It will usually seal what ales ya... :cool:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

kewl! :mrgreen:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))