boot hitting frame hoop on upshifts

Got questions? We got answers....
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

Anyone else have this issue? Mines a 00 kdx220. Short of cutting the hoop off not sure how to resolve. I'm not a Bigfoot my boots a 10 so I can't be the only one with this issue. Any ideas?
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Bend your shifter up I do the same thing when I'm riding agressively but I wear 12's.
Did I say riding?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Are you riding with your heels on the pegs?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You could try moving the shifter up one spline. And move you foot back on the peg.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if you are hitting the hoop or loop on the frame, then you are doing something wrong. Most likely riding on your heel like suggested earlier :naughty: .
I have size 13 and this never happened.
Moving the shifter up the spline can make it easier while keeping the proper foot position.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

scheckaet wrote:if you are hitting the hoop or loop on the frame, then you are doing something wrong. Most likely riding on your heel like suggested earlier :naughty: .
I have size 13 and this never happened.
Moving the shifter up the spline can make it easier while keeping the proper foot position.

Don't be too hasty saying he's done something wrong....aggressive riders ride with their toes on the pegs, their heels on the pegs and everywhere else...check out an A rider's boot-bottoms, you'll see the peg-wear is all up and down the sole. Riding with your feet planted centered on the pegs is actually holding you back - When I'm riding aggressively I often hit the frame loop with my boots, and that's why I've cut them down on my last three KDX's. Nothing like a missed shift in a critical place to change your mind about that loop!

For the OP, if you do decide to cut the loop down, I've found that cutting about 1/2 inch from the back tube and tapping it in then rewelding gives enough clearance for my size ten boots. The weld doesn't have to very strong, there's no structural involved.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, I'm am an aggressive rider and have never missed a shift due to hitting the hoop with my size 10 feet. If you are hitting it, then yes, your feet are not in the proper position when trying to shift.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
jeeptech1

Re: boot hitting frame hoop on upshifts

Post by jeeptech1 »

"...check out an A rider's boot-bottoms, you'll see the peg-wear is all up and down the sole." i was taught by the #1 AA rider in the woods(in oregon, silver medalist at this years isde in germany) on how to ride and he took one look at the hoop and said, "thats gotta go!" so not so sure about my foot being in the wrong spot. dont want to bend or move the shifter cuz then ill have to reach way up to shift. i like the idea of cutting it back. dont think i'd ever smack the ignition cover but it is insurance.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

jeeptech1 wrote:"...check out an A rider's boot-bottoms, you'll see the peg-wear is all up and down the sole." i was taught by the #1 AA rider in the woods(in oregon, silver medalist at this years isde in germany) on how to ride and he took one look at the hoop and said, "thats gotta go!" so not so sure about my foot being in the wrong spot. dont want to bend or move the shifter cuz then ill have to reach way up to shift. i like the idea of cutting it back. dont think i'd ever smack the ignition cover but it is insurance.

Sounds like you already had the answer to the question you asked. But of the half dozen or so people that have rode KDX's and not had any issues with the hoop on the frame, it seems as tho it might by some chance of fait be that it is an issue with you riding style. Sorry to have to tell you that but it is what it is. If I were you and had a AA pro tell me to get rid of the hoop then by all means do so. I can't even begin to imagine that the low shifter hight of a stock KDX or sloppy foot placement while shifting could have anything to do with it.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

SS109 wrote:Well, I'm am an aggressive rider and have never missed a shift due to hitting the hoop with my size 10 feet. If you are hitting it, then yes, your feet are not in the proper position when trying to shift.

Not trying to start any kind of pissing contest...but here is the way it is for some of us.. for example;

You are on the pegs, arse off of the seat hitting hard a difficult near vertical uphill single track with a large root across the line... no way are you sitting down...the bike is tilted up at a 45 degree angle and you have to upshift....your head is over the dammed light and you can look down at your front fender...your whole body is way forward on the bike.....otherwise you loop out...

To shift you cannot keep your left foot on the peg at all! If anything maybe your toe, and to shift you have to lift your foot and catch the shifter....So, yes, the frame loop can sometimes interfere with you "feel" for the shifter...and kids, it has for me many a time, and I am a very experienced rider and used to race A level CC.

That is just one example.... The bike can be tilted way to the left... same situation your foot isn't on the peg when you shift, your running on body memory, not thought and you are trying to move that shifter anyway you can,

Feet in proper position? I guess if you situation is sedate enough to allow that kind of riding....LOL...

Crap, I'm an old man and still need to shorten that loop..... so I guess we all have different riding styles and situations, that's all I'm say'n....

Merry Christmas, and may the trail gods smile upon all of you....
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

It's ok guys. I'm not trying to start "I'm better than you/my ways better" match. Just tellin ya how I ride. Was just trying to see what others did if they had the same issue. Thanks for the help and merry Christmas!
gwynfryn

Post by gwynfryn »

Just looked at my frame loops. RHS looks new. LHS no paint top or bottom on the curve of the loop. Conclusion - boot interferes with frame loop when shifting.
Size 10 boot and ride on ball of foot. Shifter set high.
However when riding I can't recall missing shifts because of this.