Air Filter Rim Grease = Plain Old Lithium Grease?

Got questions? We got answers....
Enduro_Mayhem

Post by Enduro_Mayhem »

To save shelling-out on a motorcycle-specific (air filter) rim grease, is standard Lithium grease the same product?

Also, anyone got a suggestion for a tried and tested air filter, filter oil and filter cleaner brand(s) - I've always gone with NoToil but they don't seem to list a filter for the KDX?
Flyin' the Flag for Team Vintage
MotocrossMatt

Post by MotocrossMatt »

I like the Twin Air filter. I use Castrol filter oil and i clean the filter with warm water and washing detergent :mrgreen: .
My filters actualy busy drying right now so i felt the need to answer. Im sure someone else will have beter advice though.
Go buy a 2stroke!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Air Filter Rim Grease = Plain Old Lithium Grease?

Post by KarlP »

I don't think it is the same product
I think getting the lithium grease off when you clean the filter might be a problem.
I've been using this fancy Kawi-Chem oil and cleaner and rim grease for a long time now.

Years ago we used gasoline to clean filters and oiled them with motor oil......Worked fine, I guess.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

they are not the same.
gwynfryn

Post by gwynfryn »

I've always used plain old wheel bearing grease. What ever i have around as long as its nice and clean. Comes off the filters easy with a little solvent, usually petrol then hot water and dishwashing liquid. Dry, then into a plastic bag with a couple of tablespoons of elf filter oil worked into it.
Never had any problems however perhaps not to pc using solvents to clean, then again i am not buying more products which use energy and packaging etc.

On a side note i always wonder when is see bikes advertised and they say the filter is cleaned after every ride.
I trust my filter to do its job and clean it when it looks dirty all over. Very occasionally it has been after one race but generally i get much longer intervals with no loss in performance and my carb is always spotless.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Air Filter Rim Grease = Plain Old Lithium Grease?

Post by canamfan »

I use a uni filter two stage and use the same oil for the filter as I use in premix (lucas two stroke oil) I clean the filter first w/ gas then soap and water, rinse w/ clean water, then oil it The oil drives out any excess water from the filter. I grease the lip in the airbox w/ whatever grease I have on hand. Never had any problems. Also I oil the inner filter very lightly and the outer more coarse filter a little heavier.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

No Toil makes filters for the 95+ KDX, I have a few of them. Also I don't grease the rim with anything. I just put a little extra oil on the base of the filter. I like No Toil because they are cheap to buy, work well, and are easy to clean.

Like said before, cleaning a filter after every ride is something for people that get board and need something to do. A dirty filter is actually better at filtering air then a clean filter.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:No Toil makes filters for the 95+ KDX, I have a few of them. Also I don't grease the rim with anything. I just put a little extra oil on the base of the filter. I like No Toil because they are cheap to buy, work well, and are easy to clean.
Yep, and the H series filter is the same as the E series. I have the No Toil filter on my E. I'm really liking the No Toil air filter setup. It is so much easier to clean I will never go back to the old type filter oils!
rbates9 wrote:Like said before, cleaning a filter after every ride is something for people that get board and need something to do. A dirty filter is actually better at filtering air then a clean filter.
I completely agree!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
cosler

Post by cosler »

Sorry can't comment on the OP, but can say that I use the air filter rim gasket called the Pro-Seal by PC Racing. Cheap and takes the place of the filter grease, keeping the airbox nice and tidy.

I have not had any problems with 60 hours using the gasket on my 250F. I do not have one on my 200, yet.

Check it out, one could make one of their own if they could find the correct material.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Oh, yeah, forgot to add that I don't use rim grease now that I have went to No Toil. I just do the same as Rbates and make sure to oil up the base really well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Enduro_Mayhem

Post by Enduro_Mayhem »

Again... thanks guys - loads of really helpful stuff here :supz:

I contacted NoToil by email yesterday afternoon asking after a filter for the KDX and they got back to me within the hour (pretty impressive):
Filter specs as follows: NT240-03 (dry) or pre-oiled NT2403

They have also stated that their conditioning kit (oil/cleaner/grease), works well with other brands, such as Twin Air, etc. Think I'll run with NoToil as it's so much easier to work with than some of the solvent-based offerings - well priced, too. Never had an issue with perfomance or longevity on my CR 250 and I wasn't exactly diligent with maintenance, only cleaning the filter when it looked pretty messy.

Thanks again and have a great Christmas/holiday.

:grin:
Flyin' the Flag for Team Vintage
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

SS109 wrote:Oh, yeah, forgot to add that I don't use rim grease now that I have went to No Toil. I just do the same as Rbates and make sure to oil up the base really well.

Same here.
Ontario, Canada
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I got one of those filter sealing rings, don't have to use grease anymore.
'00 KDX 220R
xrdan

Post by xrdan »

For those of you using the No Toil filters- you can get them from http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/

Just got 2 of them yesterday. No Toil filter in a Wix box.

Wix p/n 24239 is the pre oiled one.

Price- $7.55 ea

Dan