How are we going to rebuild our C model shock linkage?

Got questions? We got answers....
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

My 87 model has some slop in the spherical bearings in the linkage and the upper shock eye. Also the mounting bolts are worn in all three locations further amplifying and accelerating the problem. Sooner or later I will have to address it and I've read a few posts by others that are facing the same problem. I'd like to hear everyone's ideas and put our heads together and figure this out once and for all.

We know that the factory parts are very scarce and very pricey. It would be nice if we could figure out a solution that is simple and inexpensive so that it would be within reach for everyone.

Here is what I'm thinking might be a simple fix:

Instead of running sphericals in the dog bone, is there any reason we couldn't just press in some sealed roller bearings? Has anyone ever tried to find some that have the proper OD for the bone and ID for a new bolt? I'm envisioning a pair of "wheel bearing" type bearings side by side in each bore with a new shoulder bolt through the middle. This would mean that you would lose the zerk but the bearings would be better sealed than the originals and they would be cheap to replace when they wear out. The other difference would be that the dog bone would not be allowed to rotate side-to-side as it does on the sphericals. Does anyone see a problem with that?

As for the shock, I would think that a similar arrangement might work just as well.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't take measurements when I had the bike apart so if anyone happens have the measurements it would be great if you would post them here. I can't imagine that these are some oddball sized sphericals that couldn't be matched up with some sealed rollers.

If any of this is feasible it would be really cheap to go to your local bearing house and buy the bearings and the bolts could certainly be found as well. To me, this would be a great fix if it will work but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts, opinions, and ideas.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How are we going to rebuild our C model shock linkage?

Post by kawagumby »

If there's any play in the swingarm bearings and any twisting of the swingarm while riding, roller bearings will likely fail. When I rebuilt my 86 I measured the OD and ID's and could not come up with a suitable replacement with any kind of bearings from several on-line bearing catalogues. I ended up lucking-out (after gambling) that an Ebay dog-bone that looked unused from an 84 (as I recall) KX250 which had like-new bearings would work...they ended up being the same diameter but slightly wider - giving a larger load area. The worn bolts were replaced with hardened hardware bolts. The stock bearings are available (I use Ron Ayers or Service Honda ) and the dog bone bearings are about $80 each, the shock bearing is less. Pricey, but if lubed often should last many years of riding.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

[quote]If there's any play in the swingarm bearings and any twisting of the swingarm while riding, roller bearings will likely fail. When I rebuilt my 86 I measured the OD and ID's and could not come up with a suitable replacement with any kind of bearings from several on-line bearing catalogues.[quote]

Do you happen to have those dimensions?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How are we going to rebuild our C model shock linkage?

Post by kawagumby »

No, long gone. sorry.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.