Skid plate recommendations

Got questions? We got answers....
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Skid plate recommendations

Post by 4Rider »

I am looking for recommendations for a skidplate for an '02 KDX 220. In an earlier post someone recommended trying Utah Cycle Sports. The other recommendation was to definitely find a plate that had protection for the waterpump.

I called Utah about their product. They do not have any wraparound or extended protection for the waterpump. I talked to a tech guy who checked to be sure. He said that the current plate definitely does not protect the waterpump, which is unusual for their products. He is going to refer it to the R&D guy for redesign, but had no idea when that might actually happen.

Any recommendations for a wrap-around style skidplate? We do ride in the rocks so I don't want any plastic or light-weight stuff. Don't need carbon-fiber either, HEAVY aluminum would be my choice. Also, if you have any recommendations on where to order the skidplate you like, let me know.

And.........Many of you mention "Fredette" (spelling?- too lazy to look it up) a lot. Who is he, where is his business, does he have a website, and what all does he do/sell/provide etc?

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Jeff Fredette is the MAN when it comes to KDX anything. He has more race trophies on a KDX than I'd bet anyone has on anything else.

He does have a website.

Google 'fredette' to get:

http://www.frpoffroad.com/

as the first listing.

...but I don't see skidplates there......

Chuck Steahly (the flywheel weight guy) has skid plates listed:

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/

I called them..they said they thought their KDX skidplates DID have water pump protection. They have a toll free number...if you're interested call'em and make sure it does have ears on it.

Well...unless you're looking for more of a cover for the pump. I've seen those, too.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I personaly have'nt seen a skid plate that covered the water pump for these bikes. There is the loops that are welded to the frame for the water pump and case protection. I went with a Works plate. It was easy to install and fit very well.

Jon.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I went through the same thing. I talked to a guy at Utah sport cycle, and he said the ears on the KDX frame make it tough to design a wrap around skid plate that doesn't end up being huge. I ended up getting theirs, it was easy to put on and has been very durable. I ride in very rocky terrain and haven't had any problems with the water pump. The fork underhang is a different story though. For what it's worth, I heard of a South African company that makes a tough plastic wrap-around skid plate for KDXs. I think somebody started importing them to the US, can't remember more than that though, try googling.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think Trev has one of those skid plates Mike. It may be shown in his gallery.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Personally, I've never heard of anyone damaging their water pump on the KDX. The previously mentioned "ears" welded to the frame do a good job of protecting the front case section of the engine. If those "ears" weren't there, a full coverage skid plate would be readily available. My boss has been running a "glide plate" on his 200. He's an A rider who likes to go up things most people don't want to go down. :shock: He has managed to break both "ears", but has never damaged the cases or waterpump. :mrgreen:

I have the Utah skid plate and it has taken a beating. Not much mud and tree roots here. Mostly cactus, rocks, sand with rocks, silty dirt with rocks, and rocks with more rocks. :shock: Did I mention the rocks. :blink: I've been down hard several times in fields of basketball sized rocks and have never damaged the cases. I did manage to put a dent or two in my pipe just above the pipe guard
though. :rolleyes: We've used JB weld on many a bike, but never the little green ones. The skid plate and the "ears" do a good job protecting vital parts. Moose, Utah, and Works all make good strong skid plates. The Devols are very thin and don't seem to hold up as well. I don't have any experience with the carbon fiber plates, but I've heard they hold up good too.

Happy plate hunting.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

If ya do a search for Hydes it should get ya some results here. The only thing I didn't like about mine is the oil drain hole doesn't line up and the mounting bolts werre a fraction too short. Other than that it seems to handle the rough stuff pretty good. It didn't have any mud or dirt trapped inbetween it and the frame, but I haven't really hit the mud hard yet. I know you said 'NO' plastic but this stuff is HARD !!! It will eventually get marked up and scratched from rocks etc though. Just some additional info for ya..... Cheers Trev.....

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I picked up a "MOOSE" Brand from Denniskirk. The plate extends past those frame guards on the bottom. Does not cover like the above pic though. You can see it some what in my bike pic http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... 6d5bb976a8
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
karbon_dunn

Post by karbon_dunn »

I picked mine up from: http://www.scottsperformance.com/. The pictures aren't necessarily the actual plate for you bike, you may want to call them.
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

I've got a Works Connetion heavy-duty skid plate that they don't have listed on the website any more. It mimicked the ears on the frame and it is thick. I'd buy a WC plate again.

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial