Carb Maintenance

Got questions? We got answers....
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Carb Maintenance

Post by Tyl3r »

I'm not sure if my bike really needs it, but being that its new to me and I've still got the itch to want to play with the bike constantly... I figured I'd take the carb off to go through it and clean it up. Here's my questions:

Rebuild kit? Any suggestions on which one to get? What all should get replaced? Just seals/ gaskets? Any common problems/issues that I should be aware of?

I believe I saw somewhere that I shouldn't soak the carb in a cleaner due to an O-ring somewhere? Is this true? where is it?

I found an exploded diagram of the carb online, so thats always a plus.

Is there a thread on here somewhere that discusses carb maintenance? I tried searching but didn't come up with too much.

Any tips you have on doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :supz:
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Carb Maintenance

Post by Julien D »

Rebuild kits are generally chinese garbage. Better to replace individual parts as needed. The rubber o-ring you mention is between the carb body and the jet block. Any chemical dip you use needs to be safe for rubber, otherwise this gasket may soften and leak, allowing fuel to flow directly past the jet block rather than through the jets. As far as rebuilding, you'd want to replace the jets and float needle, and make sure all the passages are clean. You can use a compressor or canned air to blow them out. The inner portion of a wound guitar string works well for clearing clogged passages out as well.
Steve_K

Re: Carb Maintenance

Post by Steve_K »

You can get the jet block o ring from jet r us. $5 for the part. If you rich at 1/4 throttle and can't seem to get ride of it. Then the o ring is bad.