billet aluminum handlebar mounts

Got questions? We got answers....
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

Have any of you tried the billet aluminum handlebar mounts that replace the rubber inserts on your KDX? I wondered if they increased vibration. I've twisted my handlebars several times in the stock mounts. I thought these might give a better feel to the steering.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: billet aluminum handlebar mounts

Post by diymirage »

i have a KX front end on mine and it comes with solid mounts instead of the rubber ones
i dont think it vibrates more (though that may also be due to the new front end) but i do notice i bend my handle bars a lot easier

back when i still had the rubber mounts they would get hit out off whack but they would be easy enough to re adjust but with the solid mounts there is no give, the bars take the full force of the impact

(just something to consider)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I have the billet mounts fitted to my 220 & noticed that the bars are more solid & no longer move around like they did before in the top clamps...i cant notice any more vibrations than i did before but the handleing seems to be more positive, the billet cones are cheap to buy & i would say an improvement over the OE rubber items, the only down side is the lack of give in the event of a heavy spill which may result in you bending the handlebars.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: billet aluminum handlebar mounts

Post by canamfan »

Thanks for the reply's, it seems to me there was a post awhile back about some stiffer rubber mounts that were for a different machine but would work on the KDX.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have a KX front end on my bike and use Honda CR cones in the triple clamp and they work very good. They are stiffer then the Kawasaki cones and still reduce the vibration. I have a post on here somewhere with the part number. With the stock KDX triple clamp the cones are taller then the KX cones so I can't say for sure that they would fit but I would be willing to try them if I needed a new set for a stock front end.

One more thing to think about is the stock rubber cones are a wear part and do require replacement and when they get worn out you will have more problems with the bars twisting. While I still had my KDX front end on I was having problems with the bars moving around with low impacts and after I replaced with new stock KDX cones the issues went away.

*EDIT*
I found the link. http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... es#p112794