Spoo... but great performance!

Got questions? We got answers....
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've seen people run a 7 plug in the newer KDX's. The older E KDX's spec'd a 9 which is too damn cold a plug. It takes an 8 or a 7 depending on the usage of the bike for the plug to really work correctly.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I always thought I was running at the edge of lean with my jet set. I mean a 40/150 is lean at 600' right? And the slide is cut lean too at #7. 8's are clean burners in my bike. I don't know how they could be that clean and that spoo get by without touching it.

I am not a jetting expert by any means but I get a better understanding of it everytime I rejet or make adjustments. I need to get me a DEK profile too to try...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The cut slide may want that 42 pilot. The needle may clean it up too, but it you like the delivery of the current needle then who cares. From the sounds of it you're jetted pretty clean. Might just be the interceptor? You know you're getting good lube, but the stuff might just not like to burn on the trail...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I always thought I was running at the edge of lean with my jet set. I mean a 40/150 is lean at 600' right? And the slide is cut lean too at #7. 8's are clean burners in my bike. I don't know how they could be that clean and that spoo get by without touching it.
How lean it is depends a lot on your bike. I'm on the coast, basically 100' to 1000' and i'm running a 40/152, most likely a 150 could be safely run.
If the bike feels good you and your not concerned about the spoo, call it good. After experiencing two rides now with just a smidge of spoo on the exhaust spout i'm going to chase my jetting until its like that every ride. You might give a 38 pilot a try with the CEK. Were you running a CEK-3 and switched to a CEK-2? Or a CEK-4 and switched to a CEK-3?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: I need to get me a DEK profile too to try...
You most certainly do. I was running a CGK (basically a CEK for the #6 slide E series PWK's) and while the power was hard and fast it was tiring to the max. Very peaky. The DEK is completely different. It has the same raw power, but its a much more progressive tractable delivery. And from 3/8th up - Wow!

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm surprised you haven't gotten a DEK yet, Inda.

What's the hold up? :wink:

Sure, one size does not fit all...but until you find the DEK stinks for you and you hate it...you won't know what you might be missing.

...and what's missing is what m0rie already said.

Terrain has a lot to do with it, too. A CEK would be fine in relatively non-technical terrain. If you ride single track with climbs too steep to stand on, you will apprecaite the 'progressive tractable delivery' part. A lot!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm waiting for someone to send me one... I wish Ron would just take a Debit Card, then I would already have one. Is there any other profiles that work well with the modded carb that I should consider? I have all the jets... just need the needles now...........
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I sent a M/O to Ron on a Saturday and had the item by Wednesday. I sent the M/O by Priority Mail. I wish he would take a Debit also, just easier and quicker :wink:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'll send out a MO today to get one.... I thought for sure one of you guys woulda sent me one by now after all my hint dropping! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I notice that most of us are running a lot more lean than what is suggested on the Canadian Dave's site for jetting. Is this because he doesn't want to be responsible for a too lean condition?

I also notice that the modded carbs run leaner than stock even with the lean cut slide. I would like to get the jetting to within a jet size depending on conditions but have yet to get there judging by spoo. Seat of pants...it's there. I don't mind spoo... but I think I am getting just a little too much.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Speaking of spoo......

I got to go for a 2 hour ride today, well ride around 50 acres for two hours anyway. I am running 152 / 45 / CEL 2nd clip from the top, A/S 1.5 out at sealevel. I believed I was lean on the pilot due to high idle so I went from a 42 back to a 45. Thinking the 45 may be a too rich of a step up I took the needle from clip position 3 to clip position 2. Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong there.

So today I jump on it and rode it around for about 5 mins saying to myself "something aint quite right". It was blubbering, wouldn't idle, bwarrrrred when twisted quick then sorta went and generally ran sh!thouse. I looked at the tailpipe and pipe / muffler junction and up from the swingarm came a bubblin crude, OIL dat is... I went to get my tools from the truck and returned to where the other guys were to pull the carb off. I grabbed a screw driver crouched down to undo the boot clamps and........................................................................................................

I noticed the $#@$!@$#@%$ choke was still on !!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhh. Unclicked the choke, started her and she ran like a raped ape. :roll: Pics of that KX we bought in my gallery now. I had fun two hours to say the least. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pilot is from idle to 1/8 throttle... needle is from 1/8 to 3/4... generally where mine blubbers is 1/4 to 1/2. So my needle adjustment was more than justified.

Raising the needle richens lowering leans. Your post is kinda confusing about where it's at....

I like how you have the bikes cuddling..... I guess that's one way to get a hybred! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'm at 152 / 45 / CEL-2(nd clip position from the top) now. It was 152 / 42 / CEL-3. I believed the pilot was lean running the 42 so I went up a size richer with the 45. I believed it was now a bit rich from idle-1/2 throttle so I raised the clip (lowering the needle) to position 2 to clean that throttle range up. Does that make any sense of have I brain farted again ??? :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
Indawoods wrote:I like how you have the bikes cuddling..... I guess that's one way to get a hybred! :shock:
And a few months ago the KX owner asked me with a smirk "Why do ya have that ugly stand still on it" ???? :roll: :rolleyes: ????

Umm, that'd be why. :lol:

KDX's ROCK !!!

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
cmot

Post by cmot »

Spoo is good on potato's, :lol: But when you get your bike right and you confirm it after mutiple piston and cyl inspections, I at least tend to keep doing the same thing. I just had a left hand power valve break and I can tell the exact min. it broke. A lot of spoo is not normal or ok. Unless you have a period of lugging the engine or maybe real slow speeds.
So all I can say is while it is running good mess with oils a bit and maybe pull the pipe as well and watch the top of the piston. I have small mirrors I use so that I can see the whole cylinder.
I also mix leaner if I'm running with my son or really tight stuff.
Keep strokin... 2 that is.
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...