Anyone running a GPS on their bike?

Got questions? We got answers....
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

My odometer on my bike isn't working, so I was going to start looking at how to fix it... as I was looking around, I noticed there is a pretty good sized spot where the odometer is now for a GPS or a trail computer or something. I've seen a couple cool trail computers that will read out your speed, mileage, rpms, water temp, etc... but didn't know which ones were better than others. Does anyone with some experience, have any insight for a n00b?

I also tried looking around for GPS set-ups specifically for dirt bikes, but wasn't having much luck. I mean, I know I probably don't need a GPS, I just thought it would be cool. It would certainly have to either come with or be able to have topo maps installed. Does anyone on here have anything like this? Any suggestions?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Anyone running a GPS on their bike?

Post by Julien D »

I've been using Maverick on my android phone recently. Works quite well. The new trailtech with GPS is supposed to be pretty sweet. Might be a review of it in our review section.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

I just bought a used garmin from a pawn shop for 34 dollars, it isn't specifically for trails but it still shows speed, miles, elevation and all sorts of other neat stuff.
Last edited by Roadhazardguy on 11:24 pm Nov 30 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I used a garmin etrex for a while. Neat when it worked. Every other bump would shut it off though. I read about some easy mods to fix that, but I've never gotten around to trying it. It's still just sitting here, doing nothing... lol.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

garmin foretrex 401 is what I use. it is NOT map based. pan and traceback, speed, odometer, duration, and average speed. battery lasts for a solid weekend, has a backlight and is water resistant. will get a signal everywhere except REALLY dense canopy.

trailtech offers a dashboard style GPS(voyager), I've never used it. I DO however have a trailtech vapor on my klr 250. I would not buy it again. It works fine, setup wasn't too bad, it's just kinda cheap and wouldn't hold up to trail riding.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
559stan

Post by 559stan »

Trailtech voyager all the way. Tells you everything about your motor. Even graphs your motor temp on a ride. I have one on my klx300r.
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

A very compact and neat unit which gives you the basic data (Speed, Milage, Average MPH, Odometer, tripmeter etc) but which also records routes, allows you to program routes to follow and gives you a free program on your PC to keep a history of your rides and routes is a Garmin Edge 200. This is a very slick little unit. It's certainly worth a look --
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thats more of a bicycle thing tho. I want something geared more towards dirtbikes. After looking around, I'm sayin F-it to the GPS, I'm liking that trailtech voyager tho, looks pretty badarse
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

Tyl3r wrote:Thats more of a bicycle thing tho. I want something geared more towards dirtbikes. After looking around, I'm sayin F-it to the GPS, I'm liking that trailtech voyager tho, looks pretty badarse
Yes-----the software is geared for bicyclists for sure----but then the "EDGE 200" accommodates all of the functions I've named which are all most of us really wanted anyway. For the more hard core dirt biker (that can scrape up enough beans to purchase it) the Garmin 'Montana" GPS is probably the ultimate GPS.
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Yea, I dont really think I need GPS for how much its going to cost lol I kinda like that trailtech voyager and the info it gives. I may go with that whenever I actually decide to get something. It has a mount that is made for dirtbike bars too which is something I like, not just a generic holder