CEL/DEL needle pt 2

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

CEL/DEL needle pt 2

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Ok so i managed to get out today & try the latest settings..40 pilot, 150 main, CEL 1st clip setting air screw 1 3/4 turns out...bike still ran burbley just off the throttle but once past that it pulls very well through the gears with what seems a little bit more torque through the entire rev range..almost like its been ported with a lighter kips valve govenor fitted!!. Going up any hill under load the bike really came alive , there is a slight sign of 2 stroke smoke while under load but not too bad.. When the bike is at idle it still seems rich as there`s a lot of smoke & the rpm`s drop down & almost stall dispite a tweek on the throttle adjuster ..this is a pain when you are in the woods or on the more technical stuff..i have a 38 pilot which i will fit next week & see if it will cure the off throttle burble & idle/smoke problem..so far i`m beginning to think that the CEL may not be the ideal needle for the 220`s characteristics as it does make the power come on quite hard ( this may best suit the 200`s top end) & fast making the powerband seem narrower which the 220 already has anyway due to its porting design, however i am looking forward to trying out the DEL so i can compare the two...stay tuned for pt3 :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: CEL/DEL needle pt 2

Post by Julien D »

fwiw, I needed a 38 pilot with the CGK/DGK needles in my E bike. I also found dropping the main a bit actually helped with the low RPM low throttle rich condition. Don't ask me why, but it did. As you've noticed, the overall profile of these needles is much improved over the stock 1173/1174.
cornishwrecker220

CEL/DEL needle pt 2

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i`ve gone down from 152 on the main to 150 & 42 pilot to 40 ,soon to be 38 ..to be honest i wouldnt want to go any lower on the pilot than a 38 ...i`m running a 35mm carb off the 200 ( my original jetting for this carb before the needle swop i was running the 220`s needle 2nd clip from top..42 pilot & 152 main) as the CEL has a richer taper than that of the DEL which is probably why i`m getting the burble just off the throttle in the first place..i doubt the 38 pilot will cure this (but may help with the idle) but as i have come this far with the jetting of the CEL needle i feel i must try out the 38 before i swop for the DEL & start the process all over again .
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

So one thing to keep in mind with the pilot. It is very unlikely that you could go small enough on the pilot to create a lean condition to the extent that you would worry about damaging anything. The main, on the other hand...

Anyway, I would drop to a 38 if the 40 doesn't do it for you, and if you find that it bogs off-throttle, raise the needle to compensate for that. With a 2 circuit carb, it can be difficult to maintain a smooth transition through all throttle ranges. Just one limitation of the simple carbs we use.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I was using a DEK for a while (tried a CEK as well) and felt I was going really small on the pilot. I was at a 40 and felt I could go lower. That seemed off compared to others, but I was writing it off on the KX airbox on my hybrid flowing differently. Anyway, I got my slide cut to a #7 from RB and kept the 40 and it runs great.