kickstart woes

Got questions? We got answers....
ukkdx200

kickstart woes

Post by ukkdx200 »

firstly - I have searched but couldnt find anything similar

I was having the what appears to be relatively common problem of the kick start lever coming down to much, A friend of mine took it off and welded a bit on the lever/boss pedal. I put it back on the bike first kick the part of the boss pedal that attachest to the lever snapped in half!

so I ordered a new boss pedal (knckle) which arrived today, put the orings on it, and went to put it into the lever, it was really tight and needed a little tap with the hammer to get it in but once on its not possible to turn the lever out. i.e. if it was on the bike I would be able to pull the kicker out to start it.

Am i missing something blindingly obvious? I didnt get as far as putting the circlip on the end as I guessed thats not going to make any difference or is it possible when welding its slightly changed the shape on the circle end of the lever making it not possible for the lever to move round?

any help would be greatfully received

simon
ukkdx200

kickstart woes

Post by ukkdx200 »

cancel that! it was as normal me getting it wrong! I must of not had the little ballbearing or what ever it is not lined up quite right the first time!

one quick other question though - should I put grease in the splines or just put it on as it is?
oh and from what Ive read when searching I must remeber to thread lock the nut!

thanks
simon
K D

Re: kickstart woes

Post by K D »

No grease!
ukkdx200

kickstart woes

Post by ukkdx200 »

thank you! I didnt think so but wasnt sure!

im having a hell of a fight trying to get the circlip on and so far im loseing!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

kickstart woes

Post by rbates9 »

I wouldn't be afraid to put some grease on the splines to keep the rust out.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I would put a little waterproof grease on it to help keep it from seizing to the shaft. Had this happen to the '89 I purchased. Could not get the kicker off the shaft. I could not find a puller that would fit. I had to take the side cover and cltuch assembly off and carefully hammer the shaft out of the knuckle. PITA! When it was put back together, grease went on it.
ukkdx200

kickstart woes

Post by ukkdx200 »

ok thanks! I took it back out and put a bit of waterproof greese in, the bit that was welded on the kicker is already wearing at the nuckle after a couple of kicks so I think I will start looking for a used kx one on ebay
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

ukkdx200

Look through here.

viewtopic.php?f=106&t=8058&hilit=shorty&start=20

This is a much better solution than the stocker or Fredettes lever, IMO.

I've had one on my hybrid for ~4 years now. It is the only part that ain't worn out.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
ukkdx200

kickstart woes

Post by ukkdx200 »

Kickstart problems continue appears lever is just to bent. I'm not going to buy a fredeete or oem so I'm looking at kx levers. I've been reading here and elsewhere and I now know that a 1989kx125 fits but I just wondered if you guys know of any other model years will fit

Many thanks
stevei0220

Post by stevei0220 »

Hello mate! Just noticed your user name...where abouts in the Uk are you? Not much in the way of off-road support in my little corner of South East Kent. What's it like where you are?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

kickstart woes

Post by kawagumby »

ukkdx200 wrote:Kickstart problems continue appears lever is just to bent. I'm not going to buy a fredeete or oem so I'm looking at kx levers. I've been reading here and elsewhere and I now know that a 1989kx125 fits but I just wondered if you guys know of any other model years will fit

Many thanks

virtually any of the older KDX levers will work. I use an 84 KDX200 on my 96 and an 86 kdx200 on my 2001. I they are the same unit - for me they work better than the stock H model as they have the same kick radius (vs the fredette which is shorter), but the boot lever is a couple of inches closer to the bike - easier for me to kick with a worn-out back. I got the 84 unit from ebay and it was in pretty good shape -
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
ukkdx200

kickstart woes

Post by ukkdx200 »

cheers kawa!
ive ordered a kdx125 lever from ebay for the rather nice price of £12 probably about $8 or so. hopefully it will fit!

hi stevie! always nice to have a few more uk kdxers here! I read elsewhere you have 3!! let me know if you break any I'll certainly nick the kickstart lever from you!!!!!

take a look at my bike here:
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=11957

cheers all! lever should be here in a few days
ukkdx200

kickstart woes

Post by ukkdx200 »

all fixed!
got the lever from a kdx 125 including its knuckle from ebay for £12 today was a bit concerned it was to crappy, was really stiff etc

swaped the knuckle from the lever on the bike (only had three rides so was happy to use it) and it went on quite easily
the ball bearing was missing from the old one so that will need addressing in the future

look at the size diference

and heres the finished article on the bike, I wasnt sure it would clear the exhaust but it does nicely. its not in great conditin but for the price im happy, it now starts really easily compared to the bent one i had!