Getting back into riding. Lots of questions.

Got questions? We got answers....
ekistler1971

Post by ekistler1971 »

WARNING! Long post. Lot's of question. Pack a lunch and beverage... :pop:

Hi All, Long time lurker, first time poster... LOL

So here is my situation. I have a KDX that has been parked and not run (or even started) since late summer 2008. :sad: Yeah, long, long time. I was in China for a few years and it wouldn't fit in my luggage. :razz: I'm about to load it on a trailer and transfer it from Pittsburgh, PA to my place in Phoenix, AZ in 11 days.

So here is the bike. 1995 H-1 KDX 200 with about 120-150 hrs on it. (That's total hrs. I bought it new.) Yeah, I hardly ever had a chance to ride it. It has been kept in a heated garage all it's life.

Here's what I have changed (that I can remember...)

Front Springs - (.37 or .39 - Not 100% sure which, For 180lb. rider & gear)
Fork Oil - 7.5 wt
Front and Rear brake pads - Didn't need them yet but I'm kind of anal about being able to stop. :rolleyes:
Fork Seals - See brake comment...
X-Ring Chain - Can't remember the brand.
FMF Torque Pipe
Pro Circuit Silencer
IMS Desert Tank with Shrouds
Rear Tire - IRC TR11 Trials Tire
Moose 12-t front sprocket
Moose stock ratio aluminum rear sprocket (Is aluminum even worth it for trail riding or would I have been better with steel?)
Boysen Torque Reeds
2-Stage Filter
Jets (152 - 55 sticks in my mind. Not sure)
Front fender (Don't ask... LOL)

Everything else is original.

So here is the bad. Original gas in the tank since 2008. Carb was never drained either. Same for cooling system. I know. I'm a dumb arse. :doh: Trans oil was changed before last ride. I was using Klotz Super Techniplate Premix oil and the Kaw factory brand tranny oil.

I haven't had the courage to try to start it yet... :blink:

So what's the thoughts? Do I need to tear the carb off and clean it? I'm not sure what to expect from gas/oil mix that old.

Do I need to worry about seals or bearings after sitting so long?

And, what about the KIPS? I've never even had the inspection cover off.

What kind of compression should I looking for in the top end? I'm nervous that with 120-150 hrs I may need rings? I always rode 125 MX'ers before (Except for a 74 KX 250 that took up residence in my garage for a season till I found an exterminator to get rid of it. Ridiculous power and no suspension. Scary thing... :toimonster: ). They ate rings (and pistons) for breakfast.

No dry rot on the tires at all. Should I be worried about the tubes? I replaced everything in early 2008.

How about the clutch springs? I read that in the 1995 model that they were underpowered?

I guess what I'm asking is "What would you guys do if you found yourself in this situation?" Any thing else I'm missing?

Other questions I have...

What premix oil to use? I thought Klotz Super Techniplate was one of the best but now I'm worried because people on here were saying synthetic might gum up the KIPS?

Anybody have any tips for riding around the Arizona area? My bike is titled in PA. I understand I have to title it for AZ for long term use but, for short term can I run it around a little off-rode on the PA title? Does anyone know if I need any special paperwork or anything? What about that silencer? Don't think it has an USFS approved spark arrestor stamp on it.

The last place I rode was Rock House at the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV. The IRC TR11 Trials rear tire was awesome there but I did get some chunking from hard braking. Anyone forsee problems in the dry AZ riding with that tire? I also have a front IRC TR11 on the shelf but never installed it because of people saying it would wash in corners. Any thoughts on that as well?

I'm used to tight technical trails in the Northeast with occasional straight stretches to open it up a little. I know AZ is really open compared to that. I was not very happy with the ability to lug the bike before. I run a 12t front sprocket and factory ratio rear sprocket on it now. Maybe I'm just expecting it to be too much like a 4-stroke. At my age (41) I like to enjoy the scenery a little more as I ride but I still like to get on the pipe occasionally for a little adrenaline burst. Is there a better gear combo than that?

Ride height. I have a 29-30 inch inseam. Right now I'm doing the chicken dance from side to side on my toes even with my riding boots on. Any way to get my feet on the ground better without killing the suspension performance. I thought about kuba links but heard they can jack up the ride. Is that true? Hate to cut my seat foam since the cover is still original and in good shape.

And finally, my wife is making noises that she would like to try off-road riding. She's 5 foot nothing and weighs about 95 lbs. Any ideas on a suitable bike for her? I want something used to start or maybe a cheap Chinese bike new. I don't want anything expensive till she learns and I see if she really likes it so I want to stay under $1G. I would think that she needs to be able to get both feet flat on the ground to learn. I was thinking of an 80cc or 100cc in 2-T or something a little larger in 4-T. Anybody have any experience with a small rider learning the basics of off road riding?

So thanks for taking the time to read this mess. Appreciate any replies.
hbgod

Re: Getting back into riding. Lots of questions.

Post by hbgod »

change all the fluids, clean the carb, and probably do some rings and see what happens :)
and as for a smaller bike when i was about here hieght(11years old) i was on a CRF100 which i quickly grew out of but it is a great learning bike and even now is still fun to ride around on because its so light it feels like a bmx bike in the trails. and its got a clutch and all the good stuff of a bigger bike. and my buddy has a crf150 that might be better suited for her. its alittle taller and has alittle more power and not much heavier. and you can pick up an 07crf100 for about $1000
and the crf150 has disks the 100 doesnt.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
ekistler1971

Post by ekistler1971 »

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with the idea of a lite bike. At her size and weight I think she'll have a hard time picking up anything even remotely beefy if she drops it.
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

Change the engine oil. Make sure no rodents have made a nest in your airbox. Clean your air filter. Check that your exhaust pipe is not clogged. Fill your radiator with 50/50 anti-freeze. Fill your tires with air. Then I think I would just drain the gas from the tank. I would refill with fresh pre-mix. Open the petcock then the drain screw on the carb. I would let about a cup of fuel drain out of the bowl and then close the drain screw. Hopefully, the float won't be stuck and the float will shut off the fuel to the float bowl. Assuming you checked the throttle to see that it is operating properly, try to start the bike by lifting the choke lever, and giving the bike a couple of kicks. I you are lucky the bike will start and after warming up run fine. If not a thorough cleaning of the carb and petcock are in probably order. Try this first before you tear down the engine. There is almost no cost and you don't risk getting confused about why the bike won't run. If you start taking parts on and off the bike you can compound the problems and end up with multiple reasons it will not run right, Good Luck
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

Stay clear of the Chinese bikes. Parts seem to fall off in pieces. You would regret buying one. I sure did. (Baja 50 for the kids)

My wife rides a ttr125 small wheel. Great little bike. She not that into riding but when she goes, its not intimidating, She has fun.
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

She would have a blast on a Honda Cub EZ90 if you can find one. The bonus to you would be that she would probably ride at a fairly quick pace the first day out.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Drain the tank, clean the carb, replace the air filter, reassemble and see if it starts. After it starts and seems to run ok, then change the transmission fluid. Then ride it around a bit. After a test ride you could check the compression. The book calls for (I think) about 98-151PSI. I would say that anything below 125 and you should think about a top end. If you check the compression before you ride it a bit the readings will probably be low.

As said before, tearing it apart before you do anything is a bad idea. If you just bought the bike and it was running fine would you tear it apart just because?

I also know of a few ladys of a smaller size that had started out on TTR125's and if you get a newer one they are electric start.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

ekistler1971 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I agree with the idea of a lite bike. At her size and weight I think she'll have a hard time picking up anything even remotely beefy if she drops it.

yah any of the smaller bikes with a clutch of course. would be great. nothing smaller then a 100 though. even a ttr225 isnt to bad. its abit heavier but doesnt have crazy power
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

I thought fully synthetic oil was ment to be best for the power valves and helped not to gum them up. So I would also like to know if fully synthetic oil is best for them?
ekistler1971

Post by ekistler1971 »

I'm going to pull the carb and clean it completely. I guess I'll reach down into the tank bottom and feel around for varnish buildup on the plastic as well. Just don't want garbage getting lodged in the jets.

I didn't realize they were making 125's with electric start. That would be a fantastic option for a beginner. Hate being stuck halfway up a hill fumbling for the kicker.

When I mentioned the oil I was referring to some posts that referenced mineral oils were better to reduce buildup. That Klotz's oil that I was using was 20% bean oil as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on the tires? Area I'll be riding has pockets of packed sand and lots of rocks.

Thanks again to all!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

SS109 would be the one to give the best advise for Arizona riding. But if there is a lot of rocks then you might want to just stick with your trials tire for now.

I think it was in 04 that the ttr 125 added electric start but still kept the kick start lever.