CEL/DEL update

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

CEL/DEL update

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Managed to get around to fit the CEL needle today, installed the clip in the mid position & have installed it with the #6 slide.
Current jetting on my 35mm carb is 152 main jet & 42 pilot...bike ran a little rich & took a while to warm up (weather here in the UK is a little cold at the moment) the bottom end was burbley when cruising 1/4 - 1/2 throttle but pulled ok once you opened up the throttle..noticed on tick over the bike smoked more than usual & the idle was low. Returned home & set the needle clip in the 2nd position..again it was almost just the same as before with no real difference so i returned & set the needle in the 1st (top position) & test rode ..the bike didnt like this setting at all & bogged when you cracked open the throttle & ran poor at low throttle openings ( too lean )..returned home & installed the OE #5 slide & clip still in the 1st position..bingo ! , the bike pulled like a train in all the gears with no bog when opening the throttle..the bottom end was smoother & pulled well & strong through all the gears but was still a tad burbley at 1/4 throttle openings & again on idle the tick over seemed a tad on the rich side dispite adjusting the air screw which is now just past 2 turns out...i have since installed a 40 pilot & 150 main but have not had the time to ride as yet however i have started the bike & the throttle does appear to sound a lot crisper with the air screw now at 1 -3/4 turns out..i am running a boysen rad valve which does require a leaner jet setting than standard so depending on how the bike runs i still may have to try a 38 pilot..i`m hoping the smaller pilot combined with the 150 main will help reduce the low end throttle burble but until i test i wont know, it may just be the nature of this needle to run like this, if after testing it still does this then i will try out the leaner DEL needle...i will post again when i`ve tested the new CEL settings.
turner

CEL/DEL update

Post by turner »

hey i just got some del and cel needles. i have the same problem with the idle being to rich. i have the lowest pilot (35) and with the idle screw almost all the way in it still had a hard time idling in the summer.
cornishwrecker220

CEL/DEL update

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Hi turner, before you start swoping out your needles & jets i would first make sure that the carb is cleaned out & your float is set to its correct height...also inspect the float valve tip for any wear while things are appart & carb breather pipes for dirt/blockages. After this is done then clean/inspect & oil your air filter , finally gap & fit a new spark plug & fill up with fresh fuel & oil...i dont know if your bike is a 200 or 220 or what modifications have been done to the bike but first fit the CEL needle with the clip in the middle position & go from there, you will probably need to go down a size or two on the pilot & main jet but as you state that you are already running a 35 pilot it seems that unless you are quite hi above sea level this size seems a tad lean which is why i would inspect your carbs settings along with the general condition of the fuel/plug/filter etc for blockages bad fuel & so on.
I am due to get out on my bike tomorrow to test out my latest settings but let us know how you are getting along as all this info helps.
turner

Re: CEL/DEL update

Post by turner »

ive done all that, im not just throwing random needles in it. its a 200 with a knarly pipe at 1000ft. i dont want to hijack this guys thread just saying what my results with the del/cel needles were. anyone happen to know what a leaner taper on the pilot would be though?