1992 KDX Wiring Help

Got questions? We got answers....
bender

1992 KDX Wiring Help

Post by bender »

Howdy,

The bike I have was a key start... The key was lost many years ago and the owner tried to hack at the ignition and screwed it up.

The bike had full electrics as it was road registered, this was over kill, I just want a farm bike to kick around on so I ripped out all the wiring. In my haste I forgot to take note of the wiring for the kill switch and spark plug.

If can someone spare a minute to to tell me the mapping? I just need the bike to start and stop.

http://postimage.org/image/k773qlt17/

http://postimage.org/image/v86u9danv/

Cheers
Mike
bender

1992 KDX Wiring Help

Post by bender »

Please ignore, I got the CDI wired up OK and I'm generating spark with the plug out. I have 4 additional wires coming out of the magneto 3 yellow and one blue, I haven't done anything with these, is this OK?
Thrahl

Re: 1992 KDX Wiring Help

Post by Thrahl »

For the bike to run you literally need one wire. It comes from the main coil and goes to the cdi. (and maybe a ground wire if it isn't internal)
I don't see why leaving the other wires unhooked would matter as long as you get good spark.
Here is the stock wiring diagram to give you a better idea.
bender

Re: 1992 KDX Wiring Help

Post by bender »

This is great, I thought I'd have trouble at getting this set up but with a little patience it ended up being a walk in the park.

Initially I tried bypassing the ignition by not connecting it to the CDI although no spark was being generated, it's as though the CDI needed the ignition switch connected and on the "on" position in order for a spark to generate.

Kill switch also works too. No spark will generate when button is pressed in.

Cheers
Mike