slide & needle question.

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

slide & needle question.

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I`m hoping someone can shed some light on this subject ..i have picked up a CEL & DEL needle to run in my 220 (fitted with a 35mm carb off a 2000 kdx 200) the stock slide is #5 ..i have a brand new #6 slide (which i`ve never used) & was wondering if i installed this to the 35mm carb can i still run the CEL/DEL needles ?? ...i know the RB modded carbs run a #7 slide but with different needles, any help would be great thanks.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: slide & needle question.

Post by Julien D »

I think that will be fine. The #6 has a larger cutaway, IE: leaner. The CEL/DEL needles will be richer than your stock needle. You'll need to re-jet with the new slide and needle combo, but I think they'll play well together. Let us know what you find!
cornishwrecker220

slide & needle question.

Thanks J , at the moment i`m running 42 pilot & 152 main in the 35mm carb along with the needle from my 220 with the clip in the 2nd from top position..this ran a tad lean down low (crack the throttle suddenly & it will bog slightly) but as i use the bike on tight mostly single track trails & seldom get the bike in top gear anyway , this setting works ok & the bike runs clean..i tried it with the clip in the 3rd position but the bike burbled & ran a tad rich. I tried running the needle from the 35mm carb on various settings but it didnt seem to have the same pull in the mid range..kinda softer? (i`m led to believe the 220 needle is slightly richer than the 200`s). Originally i bought the #6 slide to run with my 220 needle in the 3rd position & go from there but i just never got round to fitting it ,then i spotted the research you chaps did along with JD jetting & thought i`d try out the CEL/DEL needles as the OE kawasaki ones are not that good , I`ve removed the snorkle & fitted x3 small uni filters on the airbox lid, i`m also running a rad valve which is very sensitive to jetting but does seem to do its job..at the moment it seems that my bike either runs a tad lean or a tad rich..i`d rather have it on the rich side but clean too...i hope the #6 slide combined with the CEL/DEL work without too many jetting tweeks...i will post my findings.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It'll be close. I think you're in a safe enough range to be able to put the needle and slide in and see how it does. CEL/DEL usually need leaner jets than the stock needle, but your leaner slide should counter some of that.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

slide & needle question.

Post by canyncarvr »

How 'bout a picture?

This is from an earlier JD graph..what I have on this machine. His older version did not allow for slide cut entry. Still...you get the idea.

Oh..the OEM KDX (200) H needle, the R1174K is a BGQ, and jets listed are not important. You're looking at the NEEDLE profile:

Last edited by canyncarvr on 02:46 pm Nov 19 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
cornishwrecker220

slide & needle question.

thanks CC for the chart but i couldnt enlarge it enough to see it clearly :(

given the info on my bike spec what/ where would you recommend i start please ?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

slide & needle question.

Post by canyncarvr »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:thanks CC for the chart but i couldnt enlarge it enough to see it clearly :(

given the info on my bike spec what/ where would you recommend i start please ?

Can you see me now? I made it a 'lil bigger.

Since you asked.......

I would run a JD needle (red-top) with a #7 slide. The slide in the OEM Keihin is an Air Striker slide. Buy a PWK slide and you bought the WRONG slide.

If you're not up for buying JD's needle kit ($65.95US), I'd run a 'K'..no 'L' anything. The CEK is a handful. If you like wheelspin, wheelies (if you get traction), and getting wrung-out from trying to stay ON the thing..use the CEK. It IS some fun. The DEK is much more smooth, tractable, tactile. It is more likely to get you where you want to go..in one piece.

Criminy..it gets to be that a jetting performance description sounds like someone trying to sell their bottle of wine...... :snooty:

No 'bouquet' or 'nose' to either the DEK or CEK.

Jetting is an individual issue. Some (many or most..no matter) may not agree with my choices. The good thing about that?

I don't care.

Your mileage may vary. :doh:

Consider the source

cornishwrecker220

Again thanks for the info CC i will consider the #7 slide along with the DEK/CEK needles however since i have already in my posession the #6 slide & CEL/DEL needles what would your recommendation be on this set-up with regards to the power delivery over the standard carb/jetting set-up?..I guess what i`m looking for is a cleaner set up with good traction yet smooth power ..do you think i can i achieve the above with the needles/slide that i have ? P.S what are the differences between the K & L needles & how will this effect the running/performance of my jetting. thanks
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

slide & needle question.

Post by canyncarvr »

what are the differences between the K & L needles ....
The diameter. The K is 2.825mm, the L is 2.835mm.

The following can be found in a number of places...this just happens to be the first that popped up:

Clicky!

I would not presume to tell you what to use. Well...except that you ASKED, so I said what I would do. What you should do? It's your butt on the seat. Use it! :wink:

Most any setup (within some reason) is going to be preferable to the OEM needle.

Put in your #6 slide (make sure the nylon keeper fits into the slot of the needle nut), pick one of the needles. Ride it for a bit on -3, change it to -4..see how you like it.

Change to the other needle: Repeat.

Consider the source

cornishwrecker220

Cheers for the link & help ..i hope to get out later in the week so will post up my findings ..thanks again.