2 stroke alternative to XR100?

Got questions? We got answers....
sasrocks
Supporting Member

2 stroke alternative to XR100?

Post by sasrocks »

hey guys;

just went riding w my 11 year old and had a blast. Finger Lakes in central MO. Anyway, he is getting a little big for his xr80 and we are thinking of a xr100 or maybe the TTR125.

I was wondering if there is a mild, trail oriented 2t alternative. Not a MX bike (he is still learning and does not require a snappy hit or sx suspension).

Another way of putting it, maybe, is there a 100cc version of a KDX200 out there???
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

What about the Honda 150?? I bet he would have fun on a KX85 or 100 though. Kids get bored real fast as you know. My 11 year old has KLX125L and it is fine for him right now in the learning stages
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

My 8 year old son and I have been riding quite a bit the last couple of weeks. Its good father and son time for sure :mrgreen: The little XR 80 is getting a good workout.

I met a group of guys on the trail last winter. One Dad was there with his two sons. Both boys had small KTM two strokes. The 9 year old was riding an 80, the 13 year old had a 125. From what I saw the Dad spent more time starting the bikes and helping them out of spots than riding.

We have a 2000 TTR 125L that my wife rides. I cant find one drawback to that bike. It is easy to start, plenty of power, good gearing and decent suspension. IMO the TTR is a great next step up bike.
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

It really depends on how agressive your son is. My kid (14) has a CRF150, and a KX85. He likes the CRF150 better for trails, and rides the 85 on the track. The CRF has 11 hp, weighs about 216, and has pretty bad suspension. The 85 weighs 70 lbs less and has almost double the hp. The suspension is worlds better.

I think there is a lot of merit in the MX bikes because they're so light, are a good size, and the suspension is so much better. If I had it to do over again I would probably have bought him a KX100, and found a way to limit the power at first by disabling the KIPS and/or either rigging up a rev limiter or a throttle limit. Kids learn so fast, that it's easy to blow money on a bike that they surpass in ability in one season. The CRF is a decent trail bike for somebody that's really tentative, but that thing is gutless even with the power-up kit, and it's a pig for a kid to lift after a crash. Oh, and the triple-trees are constantly getting tweaked. My kid has crashed the 85 much harder than the Honda with no damage yet, other than a broken brake lever.

Good luck in finding the right bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I would also say a de-tuned or rev limited KX100 until he got used to the bike. I've seen grown men keeping up with 125's on a 93 or 94 KX100 that was worked. They have great hop-up potential and from what I've read they are the best small 2-stroke to modify (FWW etc) for woods use. They're pretty pipey though so some de-tuning may be in order until hes accustomed to its power delivery.... Good luck.... Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Add an extra head gasket! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

sasrocks:

Sounds like I am a few years ahead of you dealing with kids and bikes. I recently found a KDX 220 for my 12-year old (my boys are big and tall).

We went through the full course of bikes, starting with XR50s (now called CRF50s), XR70s (still auto-clutch), XR 80 (first hand-clutch bikes), then did quite a bit of looking for the next step. My boys tried numerous bikes out, including KX 65s, CR80/85 both standard and big-wheel versions, KX100s and the TTR-125s. Interestingly, neither of my boys liked the 2-stroke bikes. We ride most trails, including the open desert, forest trails, single-track and rocky washes. The 2-stroke "hit" is difficult to control on loose scrabble. The mini 2-strokes have little torque, which means the rider absolutely has to manage the clutch and RPMs.

We ended up getting both a TTR-125 and a TTR-125L. By the time we were through, the L model had the full-line of BBR modifications, including a header and muffler, airbox mods, skid plates, BBR springs front and rear, triple-clamps and TAG bars, carb mods, shark-fin, chain guide etc. The TTR's were great. They are vary easy to ride with a wide torque band, especially with the airbox/pipe mods. The TTRs also seem to be practically indestructable. The only real maintenance I did was regular oil changes and air filter cleaning. Both kids loved their TTRs. The younger kid got the hand-me-down L model, and was very reluctant to give it up.

The only down-side to the TTR was peer pressure. Here in So Cal most of the kids who ride do so at the motocross tracks, which means they are constantly exposed to the motocross hype. All the "too-cool" motocross rats really look down on the TTRs. If you are not on a mini-pumpkin, a YZ85 or a KX85, you are pond scum. For kids, the cool factor can be very important. The motocross bike industry thrives by bombarding consumers with propaganda convincng them that anything less than a Ricky Carmichael replica racer complete with every conceivable (and some inconceivable) modification is inadequate. Kids are particularly susceptable to advertising and hype, and that is what drives the industry. My older boy took a lot of heat at school about his TTR. The fact that when we rode with other kids on their full-blown motocrossers he regularly kicked their a**s only made matters worse. All of this may not be a factor where you live, but you may want to talk to your kid before plunking down a few grand or more on a bike.

That said, a friend has a KX100 that has been a very dependable, low maintenance machine. Any of the small 2-strokes will eventually need top ends, but the KX 100 seems to go a lot longer between overhauls than the 80/85s or the 125s in our crowd. As the 100 does not seem to fit into any racing class, most of the used ones you see have been used for trail riding, which is a big plus . The only drawback is the small tank/short range. I don't think there are any desert tanks available for the KX100, but one manufacturer makes a front number-plate/auxillary fuel tank that works well. I think it hold about a half-gallon or more of fuel.

While I'm writing a novel, you didn't say how big your 11-year old is. If he is growing as fast as you can shovel fuel into his pie-hole like mine do, you will probably be looking for the nest-next bike as soon as you buy a current next-bike. With that in mind, I suggest that you don't get caught in the trap of trying to find him the "ultimate" bike for now, just find him something serviceable and that you will be able to re-sell in a year or so. If a particular bike is highly desirable now, it will probably retain some of that appeal when it comes time to sell.

My bottom line is to find a bike that is fun, acceptably cool, fun, low maintenance, fun, that allows some growing room, and that is fun.

We have blown through thousands and thousands of dollars on bikes, boots helmets etc, and all of it has been some of the best money I have ever spent in terms of family bonding and all that other mushy, touchy-feely stuff. The only thing that really hurt was watching my wife bring home her brand-new KTM400 and park it next to my very well used '96 XR400.

Some photos the famil & bikes over the years:

XR70 (now he rides a KDX220)

XR70, XR80 and Mrs 4Rider on her XR250

Youngest kid on his TTR125L

Youngest on his KDX220 a week or two ago

14-year old on his XR 400R

Wife & Her EXC:

Whatever you do keep riding with the kid/kids for as long as you can.
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

Okay here is a deal you can't refuse.....maybe. I live in the KC area also and I have a wide range of bikes due to number of kids etc. My 14 yr old that went to a KDX220 last year got there through this progression. JR50, PW80, XR100, KX85. The KX85 with the Stealy Flywheel weights makes a great bike in my opinion. It is lightweight and easy to handle. It can be ridden slowly but still has the speed that kids want when it comes time to play. It has been to Fingerlakes a few times, Chadwick a bunch etc. Something to consider anyway. The R100 is a great bike but I also bought a KLX125L for my wife and it isn't too bad either. A little more umph than the 100 which is now a 150 if you buy it new. Anyway here is the deal send me an email and maybe we can hook up and he could test ride either one. I am in Overland Park so we can't be too far away.
2000 KDX 220
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

thanks for the thoughtful replies fellas. 4rider, I really appreciate your input.. I t sounds like you have a family life that many would envy.

Rod, I will email you later this week. its not a pressing matter, so whenever it convenient we can get together and work through the options.

thanks again.
GS

Post by GS »

One more vote for the KX100. Bigger wheels than the 85, better ride, range ain't great. START all trail rides filled right to the tip top. I think we put 35 mi+ on a mountain ride the other day, without refueling. Mine has a flywheel weight, but that came installed, so can't really comment on it. Non of the kids seem to have a problem with stalling though.... The bike makes some power everywhere, but will still produce MX power when twisted tight. Kinda hard to get my 45 year old bizerko brother off the KX100 and get him back onto his KTM300EXC. The KX100 weighs nothing!! Flick at will! Have fun.
Greg
mattR

Post by mattR »

As a dad I would vote KX100, the kid in me would beg for a KTM 105. :wink:
97 KDX 220
woodsboy

Post by woodsboy »

Another vote for KX 100 Vforce 3 reeds better smoother power from idle to top end. Stealy 10ox flywheel weight will not stall as ease at low rpm. FMF silencer S/A keep it quiet. At 150lbs Great ride for woods or track. Mabee IMS gas tank if riding more than two hours. :grin: