Shock fluid

Got questions? We got answers....
Cha Ching

Shock fluid

Post by Cha Ching »

I busted the seal on my rear shock, so i am replacing it. What do you guys use for fluid in the shock, and how much do i need?
flyboy

Re: Shock fluid

Post by flyboy »

Hi. From memory when I rebuilt my shock on my kdx200 I used 5w forl oil. But I'm only about 60kg. I think if you were alot heavier you might want a thicker oil such as 7.5w or 10w. And as for the amount I bought a 1l bottle (motoul) for about $20nz and I used about a quarter of it.
Steve_K

Post by Steve_K »

I use maxamia 5 wt
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KYB or Silkolene Pro RSF 3 weight
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
gregp

Post by gregp »

You can use almost any oil you want to - just understand that it will affect the action of your shock. Heavier oil will slow both circuits (compression and rebound) and lighter oil will quicken both circuits. I try to use Honda's SS-7 suspension oil (it is 5 wt). I have used every kind of suspension and shock oil out there, and this is the only one that I can actually *feel* a difference with (even including Race-Tech's super expensive "Ultra-Slick" oil).
You will only need one 16 oz bottle to rebuild the rear shock.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Cha Ching

Post by Cha Ching »

Thanks for the replies folks. I ended up buying a real nice '04 200 that needs a counter shaft bearing. I got a great deal from the original owner, and now i have 2 kdx's. I am excited about making one sweet bike out of these two, then having the 04's motor rebuilt, top and bottom, to bolt in my '01. The '04 has Excel wheels and all the plastics are much cleaner than mine. Great score today, thanks CL!!

I got the bike from a guy that lives 5 miles from me, made a new friend to ride with too.
Cha Ching

Post by Cha Ching »

Here is a pic of the '04 when i got it home.