Carb Needle and plug chop ?'s

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I am going to be placing an order for some jets and needle to rejet my carb. I was on the jetsrus site and am trying to figure out their needle identificaton guide. I want to get a R1173N(Kawasaki number) but can not figure out which needle I need to order. Also, when you guys order jets, how many sizes do you order? Right now the bike is running way to fat.
Now my plug chop question. There is no way I can do a proper plug chop. I do not have enough space to get the bike into 5th or 6th gear for 30 or so seconds. I doubt I could even get the third gear for that long. So what do I do in this situation?
Thanks for the help.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Carb Needle and plug chop ?'s

Post by Dekon »

OK so looking over the guide again, R1173N= BPG needle. Am I correct?
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

the needles that are used in the kdx keihin pwk carb are kawasaki`s own creation & not what keihin supplies...this is probably why the jetting is usually on the rich side....keihin CEL or DEL needles are a good alternative if your running a standard carb set up, you may still have to fine tune your jetting slightly...i`m sure someone on here maybe able to shine a bit more light on this subject.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Dekon, you have an 89, right? There are some differences in the carb. CEL / DEL are good aftermarket needles for the H series bikes. 89 to 94 really like the CGK/DGK needles. The DGK is smoother, while the CGK gives a bit more delineation between the midrange and top end. More of a "hit" if you like.

The 1173n stock needle is about a keihin BGP. The L1 and diameter are transposed in the OEM vs. option needles. Not sure if the BGP is an available part or not. At any rate, I wouldn't bother with it. The stock needle kind of blows. You'll want to get a selection of jets when you get the needle. With the CGK or DGK, you'll need to go a bit smaller on both the main and pilot jets to compensate for the overall richer needle. Even though it's more rich, it has a better overall profile, and makes for a pleasant upgrade.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for the help guys. I think I will go with the DGK for the smoother power delievery. I haven't ridden trails in a long time and think the DGK is the way to go. I'm old and don't need the "hit" of the CGK.

BTW, Jason, did you ever send the chain case?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I managed to get it to my office, but I have not had a chance to get by the post office. Sorry about that, man. I've just been crazy busy. I will make my best effort to get by there tomorrow and ship it out priority mail. I'll let you know the details tomorrow night. As for the needle, I think that's a wise choice. I have both, and will sometimes switch back and forth. the CGK is good fun for a couple hours, but the DGK makes for a much easier ride.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Julien D wrote:I managed to get it to my office, but I have not had a chance to get by the post office. Sorry about that, man. I've just been crazy busy. I will make my best effort to get by there tomorrow and ship it out priority mail. I'll let you know the details tomorrow night. As for the needle, I think that's a wise choice. I have both, and will sometimes switch back and forth. the CGK is good fun for a couple hours, but the DGK makes for a much easier ride.
Not problem, I understand life gets in the way. I have a 3 year old :lol:

Do you have any recommendations on what jets to start with? The bike has Boyesen 607 reeds, FMF gold series pipe and Answer SA Pro Spark Arrestor. Like I said right now it is way to rich. I just want to get it close, then work from there, and not have to spend a small fortune buying jets for it.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

what is the current jetting? Stock?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Julien D wrote:what is the current jetting? Stock?
Stock and I run the airbox lid.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

With the DGK needle in my stock 89 carb I ended up around 40 pilot and 150 main. That seems small, but the richer needle necessitated the smaller jets. I would say pick up 40/42 pilot and 150/152 main. That should get you close, just watch that you don't get it too lean!
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Thanks, at least this will get me close and have somewhere to start.