'92 KDX fork spring trivia

Got questions? We got answers....
KanuckKDX

'92 KDX fork spring trivia

Post by KanuckKDX »

So Jason sends me some .35 springs and my mechanically-inclined 22 year-old son helps me remove the forks, check the oil level and install the new springs. I asked him which end of the springs was narrower in diameter and he showed me on both springs. I then measured with the callipers and found he was correct.

Am I imaging this or is there a reason for this? What direction should I put them in? If they're narrower at one end, why?
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How much narrower are they?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:How much narrower are they?
The only time I am online typically is when I should be working (now) and the bike is at home and of course the springs are in the forks.

But it is probably about 2 mm or less. And it is visible when you measure them against the diameter of the fork tube. As you hold the end of the spring in the tube and see how much bigger the tube is, there is a visible difference in the diameter of the spring.

I will measure th stock forks next week. Today I am leaving town for riding all weekend in the mountains. and fishing - big rainbows, cutthroat and bull trout. and sleeping late. good food. camping with my friends.

Awesome.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start