General q&a

Got questions? We got answers....
Kenman

General q&a

Post by Kenman »

So i have heard many differnt things on tires but i figured i should ask guys that ride the same bike what is the best tire u have come accross for a kdx thanks for any replys
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: General q&a

Post by diymirage »

depends on a ton of things
a KDX in utah needs different tires then one in MI
one that is plated needs to have DOT aproved tires while one without a plate can run whatever it wants

tell us where you are, what you use your bike for and if its plated and we can point you in the right direction
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Kenman

Post by Kenman »

I am in nw washington and ride on single track but love gravel pits i have an 02 kdx 200 that has vforce 3 reeds a k&n and a full fmf system
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

General q&a

Post by rbates9 »

Trials tires are becoming more popular lately. But they take a bit of a learning curve before you can truly love them. And they do have a down side. For a knobby I found the Maxis IT to work pretty well in most conditions, and last a good long time. On the front I favor a Michelin M12.

The type of ground you ride on will have a big effect on what you will like. Lots of mud and you will want a knobby. Lots of rocks and you may like the traction of a trials.

If you do a search on what ever tire you are looking at on here you will probably find mention of someone using it and what they thought. Or just search tire and see what you find.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Do you ride at Walker valley? Or belfair or capital forest
Did I say riding?
Kenman

Post by Kenman »

Ive ridien at tahuya and capital but i usualy ride around mason lake
Fletch

General q&a

Post by Fletch »

rbates9 wrote:Trials tires are becoming more popular lately. But they take a bit of a learning curve before you can truly love them. And they do have a down side. For a knobby I found the Maxis IT to work pretty well in most conditions, and last a good long time. On the front I favor a Michelin M12.

The type of ground you ride on will have a big effect on what you will like. Lots of mud and you will want a knobby. Lots of rocks and you may like the traction of a trials.

If you do a search on what ever tire you are looking at on here you will probably find mention of someone using it and what they thought. Or just search tire and see what you find.
I run a similar setup. Maxxis IT on the rear because it's very durable and a Michelin S12 on the front. A very popular combo here in eastern ontario with lots of rocks and some roots. The S12 rear is good too, perhaps more grip than the IT but it wears pretty fast
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

General q&a

Post by rbates9 »

[quote="Fletch]
The S12 rear is good too, perhaps more grip than the IT but it wears pretty fast[/quote]

I would say they do have more bite in the rear then the Maxis when new, but they round off a little too quick for my budget.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

General q&a

Post by kdxtreme »

mx 51's or s 12's work good in those areas
Did I say riding?
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

General q&a

Post by cragwl »

I run Perelli mt43 trials tire and a Perelli Scorpion on the front. We ride at Tahuya, Capitol, Taneum, Walker, and Mad Lake trails. The grip and control are unbelievable as long as it's not too muddy. Winter time at Walker you slide, but I'm sure you would slide on anything at muddy ol' Walker. Tahua gets wet but not too muddy and the trials tire is the best tire I have ever run. Really tames those marbles.That's my 2 cents.

Oh ya, I plated my KDX and the tires are DOT approved. :partyman:
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

There are metzler 6days tires that are knobbies which are DOT approved. Nice tires but a bit pricey. Just an alternative to the Pirrelli.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
cornishwrecker220

General q&a

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i run a michelin AC10 on the rear as they`re tough as nails, grip really well & have a strong carcass so you can run a low tyre pressure without the risk of a flat & last longer than most, plus they are road legal! on the front i run a michelin comp 3, again the carcass is tough & the knobbly pattern has a wide spread foot print which grip very well on a mixture of terrain.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

General q&a

Post by rbates9 »

A co-worker raced Unidilla this year and said he saw some bikes, I think he even said they were KDX's that were running a rear trials tire on the front and the back. Has anyone else seen or heard of this?
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

General q&a

Post by kdxtreme »

Trails tire on the front is sketchy I rode a 2010 450xcw like that once and it didnt corner very well.
Did I say riding?