New rider would appreciate advice

Got questions? We got answers....
treetopflying

Post by treetopflying »

diymirage- unfortunately the dealer would only budge less than 100 off the street legal bike so it was a no go. I was really hoping that on would woerk out. From reading online I think I could turn a reguar KDX I purchase street legal. Have u heard if that will be an issue?

road hazard- thanks for posting the bike in OK. I would be willing to drive a bit if I could get a good deal but he never contacted me back when I requested info. Maybe he sold the bike.

B737- I would jump on that bike if it was a 200". Thanks for letting me know.

I've decided to looms a little bit outside of my hometown. Here is a deal I've found. What do you think of the bike?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3355166953.html

Thanks for helping.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Looks clean. Not sure what what a cracked flare is, but probably the plastic somewhere. Replaceable. Looks like it's all original from tires to sprockets, pipe, a clean canvas.

Worth a drive to Spicewood IMO.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New rider would appreciate advice

Post by diymirage »

i agree ,thats a clean looking bike
definatly looks like it has been take good care off
(like i mentioned before, the ,missing paint on the frame shows its been ridden but nothing else does)

as for turning a KDX street legal, i really dont know
mine was plated when i bought it and it had some cheats on it
(like a bicycle horn)
im guessing each state is different and it all depends on what type of cop you run into
it they are looking to pick on you they can always find something, but most of the ones ive ran into were pretty decent
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Since it has a title it should be pretty easy to get it street legal. I'm gonna try on my bike, think i'll either have to get kawasaki to send me a replacement MCO or maybe get a bonded title. Once you have hi/lo beam light, brake/ tail light, horn and DOT tires(depending on where you go) then you can get it inspected, insured, and you can go to the DMV to get it switched over to a street title.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
treetopflying

Post by treetopflying »

Thanks for the help guys. I broke my foot this morning and can't even drive right now. I'm going to have to delay getting the bike until I can walk without crutches and cast. I thought this morning i would be heading to Austin to pick up that bike. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can start looking again.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Oh bummer, I hate it when that happens! Hopefully it was bone that broke and not a tendon or muscle, it may take 6 weeks for bone to heal but it will be stronger than it was before. Just take a lot of calcium, I just ate a bunch of Tums.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R