Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

steering/handling problems (DANGEROUS)

Post by scheckaet »

Goofaroo wrote:
Hey scheckaet,

I just noticed that you live in Edmond. I'm in Timber Ridge over at Danforth and Broadway. I'd really enjoy getting together and bullshitting each other over a couple of beers. I'd like to show you where I'm at on the KDX I'm rebuilding for my son and maybe pick your brain a little. I'm also looking always looking for someone to ride with and with riding season here I'm ready to hit the trail if you don't mind me tagging along. The older I get the harder it is to find someone to hit the trails with.
Sorry didn't reply earlier, I'm a bit far from you being on the corner Kelly and Danforth...
We ought to ride sometimes (drapper?), I haven't been riding much this year (too many project going on :roll: ) but the season is back and I should hit the trails more often.
What model KDX are you re builiding?
I'm almost done with my H.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: steering/handling problems (DANGEROUS)

Post by Goofaroo »

It sounds like you're about a mile away. I built a 87 model C2 for my son but I ride an old 85 XR350. I'm in anytime you want to go ride and I wouldn't mind checking out your H model project. I went with my son yesterday and had a great time but I've been anxious to try the expert loop. I haven't ridden much at all the last several years but I'm planning to get back into it.

Here's a link to my build and PM me with a phone number if you want to get together and shoot a little ****. http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=12771
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

:whistle:
kickbass

Post by kickbass »

Hello everyone.

I sincerely apologise for the greatly delayed update. The weekend I replaced the front and rear springs it rained all weekend and did not get a chance to test ride. Then my laptop locked up and never booted up again. I was checking responses on my phone, but was waiting until my computer was fixed to post. Got a NEW computer last night. But anyway........

With the new Race Tech springs installed the bike handles MUCH better, but still wants to wander when going straight. Not nearly as squirrely as before, but something is still not quite right.

One thing I did find is the front axle is slightly bent. If rolled on a flat surface, there is about 1mm of deviation at the right hand end.(larger non threaded end) It is bent right where it gets larger. I would not think only 1mm deviation would make that big of a difference, but I could be wrong. What do you guys think?

I have not had a chance to get a new axle yet. I guess i will just have to live with it for my trip to Louisiana.

Oh, and to answer rbates question, No, I have not had anyone else ride the bike yet. All of my riding buddies (over 4 & 1/2 ft tall at least) are too far away.

Once again, sorry for the delayed update. I truly do appreciate all the all the responses in tying to help me solve this problem.

Thank you

John
1995 kdx 200
fmf woods pipe
fmf turbine core silencer
rb head mod
rb carb mod
boysen reeds
10mm reed cage spacer
wiseco piston

race tech springs front and rear
s12xc tires
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: steering/handling problems (DANGEROUS)

Post by Goofaroo »

One thing I did find is the front axle is slightly bent. If rolled on a flat surface, there is about 1mm of deviation at the right hand end.(larger non threaded end) It is bent right where it gets larger. I would not think only 1mm deviation would make that big of a difference, but I could be wrong. What do you guys think?

The axle obviously shouldn't be bent. I've never had that happen to me but it would seem that the front end may have taken a big hit. It also sounds like the bearings most likely aren't running true. Your symptoms could be consistent with worn wheel bearings or with the wheel being canted to one side.

Before you just shove a new axle in there I would take a very close look at the bearings. If they have ANY slop or don't turn smoothly they should be replaced.

If the new axle and bearings don't fix it, you will have to wonder if the impact that bent the axle may have also bent the frame.

Does the front wheel appear to be original or is it possible that it has been replaced?