how to make clutch lever more sensitive

Got questions? We got answers....
draelas

Post by draelas »

heres what i would like.. i would like it so that i can pull my clutch lever with one finger and have it disengage the clutch before the lever hits my other fingers holding the grip..(hope that makes sense). at the moment i can do it with one finger but i have to squish my other fingers to disengage the clutch.

can i make it so that the clutch engages and disengages in a smaller pull space with the lever. if anyone on here owns a sport bike they will know what i mean.

the reason i want this, is at the moment i cant just blip my clutch to lift my front wheel up and over things. kind of like what you would see trials bikes do.
i tried adjusting the cable at the lever. but i know its suppose to have some free play so ive tightened it as far as would be correct. is there someone else i can adjust to do this?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I'm not sure that you will ever get to the point you want, but, first thing I would check would be the clutch arm angle on the clutch cover. Then you will be at the trial and error point of trying different levers / perches. But one other thing to keep in mind is that if you want less travel with the lever to go the same distance in the clutch the effort will increase as well. Might not sound like a big deal in the morning but by the afternoon it could be.
draelas

Post by draelas »

ya i see what you are saying.. id almost need a pivot point of some kind in the cable where my short movement creates a long movement.. which would also make it more difficult to pull.. and like you said, by the end of the day i may be regretting that... hmm.. something to think about. thanks.
attatoy

Post by attatoy »

only thing that might work is changing to hydraulic.......the lack of friction from hydraulic could alow you to make up for the travel
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

hydro is costly and for those that did go the hydraulic route, reported it didn't make that much difference.
might as well go the autoclutch route for the price.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

are you plates still in good shape?
what about your clutch basket?
how about your clutch spring?
if the basket fingers are all grooved this will make a HUGE difference in the clutch pull and feel
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Take a look at this http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... ystem.aspx You might be able to put it in backwards and reduce the travel instead of reducing the pull. I have never seen one of these in person so I don't know how the cables connect inside. Maybe someone that has used one could tell you better.

http://www.mooseracing.com/products/?pr ... tId=114640
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I fitted a magura hydraulic clutch kit to my 220 , the clutch lever is adjustable so you can either have it nearer to you or further depending on how you like it. its silky smooth & easy action, i only have to use 1 finger to opperate it!...it`s perfect for technical woods stuff (which i ride ) & since fitting i have not suffered from hand cramp which i did with the old cable set up, which btw you had to adjust from time to time.
Steve_K

Re: how to make clutch lever more sensitive

Post by Steve_K »

This is what you want. I run them on all 7 of my bikes.
3 levels of pull and adjustable lever posistion. http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/90 ... mpaign=NXT
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Nice
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
gwynfryn

Post by gwynfryn »

Cut the lever down to suit two fingers.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

I put on a msr pro raptor perch and lever combo and it made a huge difference one finger pull is a reality with this thing glad I bought it. :supz:
Did I say riding?
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

I just cut in between the clutch decomp lever into two and extend a 10mm stainless steel welded in between. extra leverage, now i can pull in the clutch with two fingers. no problem. hope that helps.
A true KDX customizer!!
draelas

Post by draelas »

rbates9 wrote:Take a look at this http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... ystem.aspx You might be able to put it in backwards and reduce the travel instead of reducing the pull. I have never seen one of these in person so I don't know how the cables connect inside. Maybe someone that has used one could tell you better.

http://www.mooseracing.com/products/?pr ... tId=114640
i do have one of those on the bike already.. was on it when i bought it.

curious about it i opened it up and its just another lever inside it. but to be honest it doesnt do much and i was thinking mayne i could modify it for what i want, but i dont think it would work. to be honest the thing is pretty much useless. the clutch pull feels exactly the same as my yz250, no easier.. would not recommend it for anyone looking to get one.

ive thought about getting an adjustable lever that i could position farther out. i think thay maybe my only option.. but in the end i would still be pulling the lever the same amount as i currently have.. i really want a short pull.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you have a easy clutch box on the bike you should start by removing it and see what the travel is like then. That box will increase the travel of the lever. If all your doing is trying to help get the front end to come up you probably won't need to completely disengage the clutch, just enough to get it to slip some.

One of those other levers listed above might be worth a try too.
Kroynon
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Kroynon »

What he said ^^^^^
If you have an easy clutch on the bike and you're looking for less lever travel, remove it.