lower shock bearing

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

lower shock bearing

Post by pumpguy »

My 97 kdx 200 lower shock bearing is shot. From what I've read here, this is a common problem. I have a double sealed caged needle bearing on order through my bearing supplier. Most references here are for McMaster - Carr's 5905K98 bearing. Dimensions are OD 22mm, ID 16mm, W 16mm. FWIW, this is a Torrington JTT 1616 or SCE 1616PP. This according to my bearing supplier. For a sleeve, I guess I'll use a new OEM. I had thought about using my old but still good 16mm wrist pin, cut down to length. Only problem here is I CAN'T FIND IT!

Since this bearing is wider than the OEM, the standard seals/end cups need to be modified or alternatives need to be made up. My plan is to make new cup washers from 420ss and see what O ring or quad ring size I need to fill the remaining space.

Canyncarvr's posts on this subject go into great detail, but unfortunately, at least for me, the pictures are no longer available.

Questions: Is there a way I can get to carvr's pictures? Could they be posted again? With this being such a common problem, could the posted info be made into a sticky? And finally, have there been any new developments to deal with this problem?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

lower shock bearing

Post by scheckaet »

try to pm him, he might still have the pics.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: lower shock bearing

Post by pumpguy »

When I go to the user control panel and click on private messages, it says "You are not authorized to send private messages". How do I change that?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: lower shock bearing

Post by KarlP »

I think you have to become a supporting member by making a small contribution.

I was following a post a few years ago about a fella using a bushing material, Delrin maybe. I've also read of people trying a heim joint similar to what KTM uses on thier shocks and similar to the upper joint on the KDX shock. I don't reacall either approach being very succesful. There is a lot of load on that bearing and it is in a very small space.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

lower shock bearing

Post by pumpguy »

Can anyone else tell me what I need to do to be able to send private messages?

Carvr's posts go into great detail about using high tech plastic bushings. In the end, he says they were a no go.

I had thought about using a simple oilite bushing. Back in the day, my brother and I used to race a Harley Hummer. These bikes used the same type of uncaged needle bearing for the wrist pin. For a replacement, I installed an oilite bushing. Used that bike for ride to work commuting, along with scrambles racing and enduros on the weekends. It held up just fine. Granted, it wasn't exposed to mud, water, sand, etc.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

lower shock bearing

Post by scheckaet »

you have to become a supporting member by making a small contribution
clic on the donate button, top of the page...