Broken dipstick

Got questions? We got answers....
86kdxjake

Broken dipstick

Post by 86kdxjake »

I was messing around on the bike and tried to check the trans oil. The dipstick twisted off in tge cover. I'm sure I can get it out without too much trouble. I was wondering if anyone has checked what size and pitch the dipstick is. I'm thinking of just getting a plug and just do a drain and fill fairly often.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Broken dipstick

Post by Slick_Nick »

Didnt think the KDX's ever had a dipstick? Maybe the older ones did? I know that pretty much every KX uses the same oil fill cap as the KDX's. They're pretty universal.
'00 KDX 220R
86kdxjake

Broken dipstick

Post by 86kdxjake »

Maybe it is just a fill cap . I was thinking I could just get a plug from the hardware store instead of ordering it. Thats why I was wondering about the size and pitch. I don't think there will be much left of mine by the time I get it out.
Thrahl

Broken dipstick

Post by Thrahl »

86kdxjake wrote:Maybe it is just a fill cap . I was thinking I could just get a plug from the hardware store instead of ordering it. Thats why I was wondering about the size and pitch. I don't think there will be much left of mine by the time I get it out.
My '89 just has an oil fill plug and it was torn to pieces when I bought it.
I looked around at different hardware stores but couldn't find any kind of plug that would fit.

I ended up just getting it from the dealership for like $7.
86kdxjake

Broken dipstick

Post by 86kdxjake »

a 3/4 course bolt threads in fine. I cut it down so it only had about a half inch of thread and put an o-ring on.
Fletch

Broken dipstick

Post by Fletch »

Pretty sure I have a spare kicking around if you want it. But I'd have to find it...
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks