Kickstarter stays down...

Got questions? We got answers....
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Ok, I've read, I've re-installed several times and yet my kickstarter still stays down after kicking. When I first bought the bike, it worked. Pulled the cover for a few fixes and it hasn't been right since.
I even bought another kickstarter gear assy to check if mine was bad,(it was having a hard time catching). So ideas?
I am sure it is something I have done, but I checked the factory manual and all appears correct. The spring is seated properly on the gear.
I'm lost and a little frustrated.
Bobby
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Getting the little plastic bushing inside the spring to seat and stay seated while putting the gear back in can be a problem. I would bet that that is where the problem is.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

rbates9 wrote:Getting the little plastic bushing inside the spring to seat and stay seated while putting the gear back in can be a problem. I would bet that that is where the problem is.
+2
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

+3
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Well, talk me through that - as I made extra sure it was not only seated - but all the way down around the tab that goes down in the gear. First kick - it stayed down.
I'm not sure that is it - but I can always check again,(although at this point I hate pulling the cover,(it is cracked, so I have to use RTV vice a gasket...).
-Bobby
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I would still say that the spring, bushing area is what you need to look at. When you get it apart again take a good look at everything and make sure that all of the parts are there and in the correct order. Make sure that when you wind the spring that the bushing stays down where it needs to be. Some pictures might help.

When the kicker stays down can you pull it back up by hand or is it stuck down?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I had the same problem. It took me a couple of tries to get he bushing to sit correctly on the shaft inside the spring.
Bob H

Re: Kickstarter stays down...

Post by Bob H »

I can pull it back up between kicks but stays down once started. A pic would help. I need a new cover anyways so I'll try it again when I get a new one I guess.
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Ok, just pulled the cover again...
I see the plastic is still well seated - i.e. all the way down as far as it can go when clocked properly to go into the notch. These pictures are w/o me moving anything - just pulled the cover off.

If I can't get the pics to show - here is the main page for the pics:
http://s464.beta.photobucket.com/user/rehanvey/library/?

Ideas?
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

Is the Ratchet propely installed behind the guide ? Do you have enough "tension" when installing the spring ?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you look here http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=12241 at the about fifth from last picture it looks like the kicker gear is more flush with the case then yours looks. ? Could it be that the shaft isn't in all the way? How well is the kicker gear meshing with the idler gear?
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

JoKDX220r wrote:Is the Ratchet propely installed behind the guide ? Do you have enough "tension" when installing the spring ?
If there's no tension on the sping ( in the second picture your spring seems to be loose around the plastique guide ) there will be nothing to "force" the kickstarter to get back in his initial position (up)...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

JoKDX220r wrote:
JoKDX220r wrote:Is the Ratchet propely installed behind the guide ? Do you have enough "tension" when installing the spring ?
If there's no tension on the sping ( in the second picture your spring seems to be loose around the plastique guide ) there will be nothing to "force" the kickstarter to get back in his initial position (up)...

Good eye. It does look loose.
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

That was it! Tension - so the "tab" on the backside of the kickstarter - I hadn't been clocking it into the upper stop,(behind the metal bolted to the case at the 12 o'clock position).
I remember all the tension when I removed it, but didn't think about it when I re-installed it. Put it there - and it is clear it is similar to when I removed it. I am fairly sure that will fix the issue - thanks guys - I'll post a follow-up if it works.
-Bobby
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

100% fixed! So as a wrap-up:
Be sure back side of kickstarter gear,(the "ear" on the rachet side), goes behind the metal stop that is held by 2 bolts at the approx 12 o'clock position. The spring tab should sit at about the 12-1 o'clock position. It should be difficult to pull down and around to fit into the retainer hole. The plastic I don't believe is the end all-be all, but it does contribute. I say that because mine was not seated when I first removed everything. That being said - the kickstarter was difficult to get to engage,(it slipped). So it is possible a poorly seated plastic guide, it may contribute to a "slipping" kickstarter. Not sure, but a data point nonetheless.
Thanks again guys!