Low fenders

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

Low fenders

Post by terminatr »

Has anyone tried to make low front fenders? Like 'em in Dakars Rally.
2001 KDX220
tommyd
Supporting Member

Low fenders

Post by tommyd »

Lots of people do it on big dual sport bikes like KLRs etc...

I spend a lot of time on the AZ strip. The mud there is the type that builds up. I personally now of 3 different people who had issues with mud packing up with that type of fender. One guy removed his. Another broke. The other had to chisel out the baked clay that friction turned the mud into.

The main reason to use one is for the lessened effect of the wind at high speeds...

...which KDXs don't encounter :mrgreen:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Low fenders

Post by rbates9 »

Look into fender mounts for ice racing. Most ice racing requires using fenders that are close to the tire so if the screws come out then they won't kill someone.
terminatr

Low fenders

Post by terminatr »

I see the ice fenders. Very interesting. But it seems over kill for dualsport use. The first get off is going to damage it. I'm thinking of something much smaller.

Looks like the KLR 250 Sherpa has stock low fender. Looks like it should be simple to mount.
2001 KDX220
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Low fenders

Post by Dekon »

Just watch out if you are going to off road with a low fender. My Beta trials bike has a low front fender and I have had two break because of a rock getting wedged between the tire and the fender. Not to mention how bad mud will pack in there.