The kid loves the 220

Got questions? We got answers....
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

The kid loves the 220

Post by 4Rider »

Just got back from 12 days riding around Mammoth Lakes (Calif) with the kid on his new (to him) KDX220. As you may have suffered through my agony of decision to buy him the KDX, I thought I'd post a "how does he like it" report.

First, a brief refresher for all those of you suffering from CRS like I do (PM me if you don't know what that means, I don't want to get ousted from the site):

My son is 12-years old, and about 5'3" tall. He is coming off a very modified TTR-125L. We ride the desert, the forrest, the hills and just about everywhere else except the motocross track. He has zero/zippo/nada interest in racing. I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of very good replies that convinced us to look for a KDX. I found a clean 2002 KDX 220 which I paid a little too much for, then immediately headed out for a 2-week riding trip.

Here is the KDX:

Here is the kid with his TTR (Bald Mtn Lookout)

Here is the kid standing next to his KDX on the Bodie Railroad Trail, Mono Lake in the background. Note the seat height in relation to his waist:

Here is the kid riding his KDX somewhere in Alpers Canyon

Here he is on some sandy single-track on 2S36 (Obsidian Trail)

Here he is proving that he can actually stop and remain upright:

More proof:

The kid and the rest of the family:

A better shot of what he has to do to hold the bike upright while stopped. Mrs 4Rider is in the background saying something like "what are we waiting for now?:

The only shot I don't have is of the stupid grin on the kid's face every time he takes off his helmet! He has told me about 50 times how much he likes his (capital H.I.S.) new bike.

We rodes for days and days, had no problems with the bike whatsoever. Before we left I mounted a new 756 on the rear. He wore that down pretty good, so I may be looking for a somewhat more durable tire in the hard stuff. He had a little trouble on the first day balancing the bike while kicking it over. Being a little stubborn, he didn't want my help or to concede that he needed any help whatsoever (wonder where he gets that stubborn streak?) By the second day I didn't have to help him start it, even after a tip-over. If I tried to help, I got a dirty look and a shove off for my trouble.

The only problem I can see is the limited range with the stock KDX tank (about 75 miles). I ordered an IMS desert tank that is waiting to be picked up at the parts counter. The IMS tank increases the range a little (1/2 gallon's worth, or about 15 miles), and is semi-clear so we can monitor the remaining fuel level. I plan on marking the sides of the tank to indicate the fuel level which will help.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my multitude of questions. I think every response I received was accurate. The kid kinda had his eye on a CRF-X and he has always ridden 4-stroke bikes so he was very reluctant to go with a 2-stroke, but reading your posts convinced him to give it a go. I don't think he could be happier. After the first day of riding he told me he was really glad we didn't get a CRF.

If anyone is interested in riding in the Owens Valley let me know. We've spent a lot of time there and I can recommend a lot of good trails as well as places to camp, eat and hang out.

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is awesome! :grin:

That KDX will give years of trouble free service with basic maintenance. They are known to go years between top ends.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Indawoods-

How often do you change the transmission fluid? On the YZ250 we had I changed it after every weekend but that may be a little excessive. I'd rather change fluids than risk a lubrication-related failure, and it's way easier to drain the gearbox and refill it than to clean and service oil filters (I use the scotts permanent stainless units most of the time).

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Depends on the environment I am riding in. Dusty conditions, usually when I get back I will change it It tends to find it's way in there, just like cleaning the air filter. Heavy clutch useage such as a lot of feathering and such, I will change it. But normally once every 3 to 4 weekend rides. If you run the cheap stuff, change it more often.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I change my oil every 200 miles or so; say, every 4th ride or less.

WoW! That bike must fly with a light rider like that on it. I've seen 250lb+ riders make a KDX sing and dance. Your son must really be buzzing.

Tires: I've found the IRC M5B to work great. Yes, it's a soft terrain tire, but..... it's a hard compound that won't wear out; instead it tears knobs off, but only if you can generate enough horsepower and tire spin. The KDX will wear a M5B for quite a long time in rocky, dry conditions then still perform in the mud as well. I've gone through lots of tires and it's by far, the longest lasting tire I've found for California. It hooks up good in just about anything out there too.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Skipro3

Where do you get the tires? Nobody locally stocks the IRC that I know of.

I think I'll have to send the kid back to an instructor of some kind as this is the first bike he has had that could easily wheelie. I'd rather have him doing that under some form of control rather than by trial and error (especially the error part). I was thinking of having him and his brother take a few Trials lessons to learn fine and low speed control. Maybe this is the right time.

Did you make it up north?

Mark
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations. I Am glad to hear that the KDX has turned out so well for yet another person. Thanks!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
4Rider wrote:Skipro3

Where do you get the tires? Nobody locally stocks the IRC that I know of.

I think I'll have to send the kid back to an instructor of some kind as this is the first bike he has had that could easily wheelie. I'd rather have him doing that under some form of control rather than by trial and error (especially the error part). I was thinking of having him and his brother take a few Trials lessons to learn fine and low speed control. Maybe this is the right time.

Did you make it up north?

Mark
I get my tires from http://www.rockymountainmc.com and usually buy 3 at a time: One for play, one for race and one as a spare. The play tire has lasted me much longer than I ever expected: at least twice as long as any other hard terrain tire has. So far, it is only missing 3 knobs from being torn off. The soft terrain tire has a hard compound that can tear a knob off if used agressively whereas the hard terrain tire is a soft compound that is sticky but wears very fast.

Check out Dave Woods for off road/ dirtbike lessons. He is a AA enduro rider that puts on clinics for about $125 a day. He has all levels of classes and they are usually held on private land. You can search for Dave at http://www.ama-d36.org where is posts upcoming classes. It's some of the best money I've ever spent on dirtbiking.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 75 miles..

It would be nice to get more. A larger tank would make the bike more tanky than it is now...not like one'a those orange bikes with the tank below the cylinder!

Have ridden a little with a couple of guys locally...one on a 450, one on a 520 EXCs. I laughed when they said they get about 45 miles out of a tank. I thought they were kidding!!! 4-strokes and 45MPT? What a load of crappola!!!

HA Ha ..uh ...ha? :?

Nope. They weren't even kidding!!

You're familiar with kouba links and the pull rods from Devol I assume?

Doesn't really matter in this case. With a 'Can do!' attitude like that, your son doesn't really need to worry about it.

Great!!

re: 'Up north'

Are you comin' up? :wink:

It's not like we shoot orange bikers up here!

Well...not ALL the time!!

Let me know if you want directions!

(Your 'up north' comment leads me to believe you're familiar with the Prospect ride up here next week. C'mon up!!)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yes!!

Make it up to Prospect and lets all get aquainted. We can't have the east coast guys' ride out number ours.

I think a photo shootout will be in order but who votes on the best weekend?
Jerry

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: Have ridden a little with a couple of guys locally...one on a 450, one on a 520 EXCs. I laughed when they said they get about 45 miles out of a tank. I thought they were kidding!!! 4-strokes and 45MPT? What a load of crappola!!!
What that makes sense...twice the strokes/half the output :roll:

Sounds like a couple of guys that need to discover a jetting kit.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'll have to show that to my son.

Best,
Greg
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Their jetting was OK..the tanks are less than 2gal, they said. I didn't look that up to prove'm liars.

Well...bein' orange and all..who could say?

The math does make sense, though. Thanks M0rie!! :wink:

Yep! Get that stupid grin up here and we'll put summore smiles on his face!

Follow ski to the gas-stash!!! :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Ski knows where he's going.........right? Lordy help us all!
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

plus a 450 or 525 cylinder should hold more fuel on each stroke
Last edited by Anonymous on 10:29 pm Aug 30 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

re: 'Up north'

Are you comin' up? :wink:

It's not like we shoot orange bikers up here!

Well...not ALL the time!!

Let me know if you want directions!

(Your 'up north' comment leads me to believe you're familiar with the Prospect ride up here next week. C'mon up!!)[/quote]

Timing is everything. I am currently nearing the end of about 20 days off, and go back to work at about the time I would have to leave to make it up your way on time. I'd admit to wusing out, but since I never said I could make it I'll only say I can't make it.

Since you mentioned shooting Pumpkin riders:

Last weekend I did attend a dualsport rally in the mammoth lakes area. The rally was put on by Rawhyde Adventures. A friend and I volunteered to provide medical support for the event . We had not been at a Rawhyde event before, and didn't know what to expect. As it turns out, the Rawhyde events are aimed primarily/specifically at BMW GS riders. Don't know if you know any GS riders, but they are about as far removed from my perception of KDX/Woods riders as can be in the world of dirt.

My buddy Joe and I were on KTM 640 Adventures, although I did have the EXC and the KDX hidden in the toybox. In total there were maybe 7 KTMs amid a sea of well over a hundred BMWs. While we weren't treated like pariahs, we definitely felt the pressure of daring not to ride Elephantine Beemers. There were several guys who seemed to be truly put out that we were there on "flyweight" KTMs. One guy actually made a comment to effect of "you weren't planning on riding with us, were you?" Of course, we couldn't just sit back and act meek and cowed. We rounded up most of the KTM bikes and riders and had our own mini-event within the event. I posted a brief (somewhat irreverent-humorous) report on the Advrider forum at this link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93858

I like dual-sport riding (Street-licensed bikes) 'cause of the amount of otherwise forbidden territory that opens up to "legal" vehicles, but my heart is in the dirt. I just can't quite comprehend why someone would buy a $16,000 motorcycle, add $4,000 in accessories, then load the resulting 700# behemoth onto a trailer to go trail riding. I feel guilty enough using the KTM 640 after years of riding an XR400R.