Which handle bars to use

Got questions? We got answers....
zepplin153

Which handle bars to use

Post by zepplin153 »

I have been playing around with different handle bars and positions and cant get the hang of whats right. anyone know how the different styles and positions will affect the ride in which ways? What is a good setup? high or low? I am a bit frustrated. My primary riding is woods but i will occasionally get on some intermediate MX tracks. I have a 98kdx200 with '02 klx front end. Any ideas?
Last edited by zepplin153 on 04:14 pm Oct 18 2012, edited 1 time in total.
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Which handle bars to use

Post by rbates9 »

It all comes down to personal preference. Your size and riding style will also effect what will make you happy.

I had a "normal" set of renthals on my bike when I bought it and thought they were fine, then I rode a friends KX with some tusk bar risers and it felt pretty good so I decided to try a set. But before I got around to ordering a set I took one of those slow speed kinda smooth flops that some how managed to bend my bars. I bought a set of Renthal RC high bend bars that were about a little more than an inch taller then what I had. I like them but still have to get around to rolling them forward some more. If you think that a taller set of bars would help I would try a set of the risers from any of the brands and see what you think. Then if you like it you could get a set of taller bars when you need a new set. I think it is ROX that makes a set of risers that also pivot so you could move the bars forward or backward if you wanted to.
zepplin153

Re: Which handle bars to use

Post by zepplin153 »

I have cr high bars now. and I have risers acting as adapters to fit the fat bar.
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

zepplin153 wrote:I have cr high bars now. and I have risers acting as adapters to fit the fat bar.
I have the same setup. My risers/adapters are taller than stock but not the tallest. Sometimes I wish they were taller yet when standing. I'm 6'2"...

You have the cr high or the rc high? The cr high is higher.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I have pro taper 7/8 trials. Little bit taller and fits my 5' 10 way more to my liking than the renthals. I ride strictly woods. I found these these bars make standing up WAY more "natural"

I agree, total preference.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i have regular 32 inch wide bars on my daily KDX and 30s on the project
the 30s are slicker in the woods because they shave an inch off each side of the bike and that makes narrow paths a hair wider

but i couldnt run my bark busters on them because the hardware would interfere with the forks
they do fit fine on the project bike which has the stock front end on it

so if you think it would fit on your KLX front end you might like the narrower bars
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

I rode the CR high setup again this weekend. I am starting to like it, but, I feel like i am getting over steer with my current setup. Its strange, I am railing some turns like never before but busting my ass on stuff i used to never think 2ce about.
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

BTW I am 5'11"
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

zepplin153 wrote:I rode the CR high setup again this weekend. I am starting to like it, but, I feel like i am getting over steer with my current setup. Its strange, I am railing some turns like never before but busting my ass on stuff i used to never think 2ce about.
maybe too far forward? I move mine a couple mm's at a time and I can tell a difference.
I love the bend of those bars but I still need at least an inch taller so I can stand up for more than a minute at a time. I'm 6'2" but I think I like a taller setup than most?