ATF Type F

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

ATF Type F

Post by pumpguy »

I went to my local NAPA store to buy a quart of Type F ATF for my 97 KDX 220. Seems plain Type F is no longer stocked on their shelf. All bottles had letters after the F, and printed information pertained to automotive applications. The counter guy didn't know about motorcycle transmission applications.

Can anyone elaborate on what currently available type would be suitable?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

ATF Type F

Post by SS109 »

Go to Advance, O'reilly's, or Walmart and you will find normal ATF Type F on the shelves.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

ATF Type F

Post by zomby woof »

Despite every body saying that Type F is better/heavier, whatever, there is little functional difference between types of ATF, even in viscosity. Look up the material data sheets on the manufacturers website, and you'll be able to compare them.
Ontario, Canada
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

ATF Type F

Post by rbates9 »

The different types of ATF comes from the additives that are put into the oil. Some additives are not good for different adhesives and seal materials so that is where the different types come from. You may find that another type will work just fine. It would be trial and error that could cost you some money on parts if your wrong. The biggest reason to go with the type F is because the trail and error has been done and it is proven to work.

I bought type F at NAPA over the summer and I think it just said F. The guy behind the counter may not have had the ambition to look into it for you. Or maybe the oil I bought was old stock.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

ATF Type F

Post by SS109 »

Like rbates said, it is all about the additives. I know for a fact that they are different and can make a trans behave differently. It is an old Mopar racing thing to ditch the Dexron/Mercon II (or III now) trans fluid and run Type F (that is all B&M Trick Shift is, relabeled Type F!) as it gives firmer and crisp shifts. That is why I run it in my KDX as well since I want the quickest and strongest lock up I can get with my Dyan Ring. However, like zomby woof said, any of them will work from the various sources I have read and spoke to.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
RailwayRog
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: ATF Type F

Post by RailwayRog »

I just started using F and the bike shifts great.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

ATF Type F

Post by zomby woof »

The reason everybody ran Type F was because of the viscosity difference. That's from the 60's and 70's, and it was supposed to be thicker. It may have been then, but it isn't now. There is nothing in any of them that will negatively affect a KDX .
Ontario, Canada
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

ATF Type F

Post by kdxmaniac »

zomby woof wrote:The reason everybody ran Type F was because of the viscosity difference. That's from the 60's and 70's, and it was supposed to be thicker. It may have been then, but it isn't now. There is nothing in any of them that will negatively affect a KDX .

+1 :partyman: .........i run the cheapest trans fluid i can find. you gonna have to change it offten no matter what you use.......so why buy the high price stuff, or a certain "type" ? just my two cents.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
RailwayRog
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

ATF Type F

Post by RailwayRog »

kdxmaniac wrote: +1 :partyman: .........iyou gonna have to change it offten no matter what you use.......so why buy the high price stuff, or a certain "type" ? just my two cents.

So how often should it be changed?
Hours or color of oil?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

ATF Type F

Post by rbates9 »

I tend to go by the feel of the shift and the clutch engagement. My bike will start to shift hard when the oil gets worn out. Sometimes after a ride, sometimes after 3-4 rides. The type of riding you do will have more effect on the change interval then the hours on the oil. If you ride somewhat easy then you may get a lot longer then some one that is thrashing the bike and using the clutch hard. If you are concerned about the oil breaking down and causing a failure then I would change it after every ride. If you have any sense of feel for what it normal for your bike and what isn't then feel it out and you should be able to tell. Once you get a few changes out of the way you will start to know what is needed before it is.
Racing220

ATF Type F

Post by Racing220 »

ATF is just that, it is automatic transmission fluid, after i got my kdx used the clutch was grabby, because of the ATF, personally I just use what the service manual says. If antone can disprove me, please do it :grin:
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

ATF Type F

Post by kdxmaniac »

automatic trans in cars have close to the same type of clutches as your kdx...........atf will usally help "grabby" clutches.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: ATF Type F

Post by fuzzy »

You can buy DexIII/Merc in 5gal pails at advanced/etc.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

ATF Type F

Post by Rjcapt »

Racing220 wrote:ATF is just that, it is automatic transmission fluid, after i got my kdx used the clutch was grabby, because of the ATF, personally I just use what the service manual says. If antone can disprove me, please do it :grin:
Sorta.

When Borg Warner developed the T-5 trans in the 80s, they specified ATF as the proper fluid, as they needed the lower viscosity as compared to the more traditional gear oil for lubrication. Now, virtually all manual transmissions use it.

I wouldn't run it in my four strokes, but I just gave it a shot in my KDX. I'll see if it stays or not...

Pete