Bike renewel time!

Got questions? We got answers....
bmann

Bike renewel time!

Post by bmann »

So after looking at finances for the next while looks like at least one more season on the good old kdx. Both I and my girl friend ride E series. Mine as it sits has a 2002 kx 500 front end, ims pegs and shifter, pro circuit pipe with dg silencer, opened air box, renthal bars, etc... Top end was done this spring, and kips was cleaned and serviced. Things I want to change on mine: new drive chain, RB mods, new plastic, new seat cover, better clutch perch and lever, new front brake line with better routing, new reeds (which one though?), new grips, throttle tube and tires, rad protection, tugger straps, new bearings where required, shock rebuild/recharge, new chain guide. On hers: Open air box, Rb mods, reeds, new pegs, skid plate, rad protection, new plastic and grips, seat cover, shock rebuild/recharge. Her top end was done 2 seasons ago and feels strong. Her bearings, brakes, and rubber got done at the begging of the season and is in great shape. She is lite and loves the stock fork so don't need to change that.
My questions to the kdx faithful are what has been your favorite clutch perch/lever assembly so far? Reeds with the Rb set up (v force or the 607's he recommends)? Rad protection (anything other than the msr)? And finally, am I missing anything?
The bikes have been amazing in the last three years and until the money is there for a new bike, were keeping these so I don't mind paying for quality stuff. Not going to paint the frame as will just scratch it up anyway and I am just too lazy. Just for kicks I will post some photos of the before and after in the next while. Oh yeah if you want to know if these bikes are capable, this spring we successfully rode a number of double black diamond trails in BC (slowly), which is the hardest rating we have in Canada. Not bad for a 21 and 23 year old bike!
KDXrider1989

Re: Bike renewel time!

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I have Boyesen 607's on my bike, and from what I've read and was told, they are the best setup for the price. I have Sunline levers and they are pretty nice, can get beaten up pretty good and still be bent back in place and not break. Devol or Works Connection look like pretty good rad guards, I want some on my bike when I start racing. Best mod on these bikes are to either change out the front forks for a USD unit, or change the pipe to an aftermarket pipe. Silencer does not make a dramatic difference in power. And also be sure to jet the bike properly

go herre for more info:

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=7198

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1156
bmann

Bike renewel time!

Post by bmann »

Thanks for the reply. I already run a pro circuit pipe and have opened the air box. Bought the 607's, can always switch up later. Does anyone know if rad protection for the H's will fit the E's? I run a 2002 Kx500 front end that I got revalved and love it, except for the routing of the front brake line which I am going to switch to galfer steel cr line. On other news one of the pivots in the dog bone grenaded and destroyed the dog bone itself, will replace it but good reminder to grease your rear pivots more often. Sorry I have not posted pics yet, will do my best to get them up this week.
bmann

Bike renewel time!

Post by bmann »

Wow amaze myself how bad I am at updating stuff. So was able to source a dog bone link for a good price locally. The rear shock is needing a rebuild in bad way. After many days of using various techniques ended up having to cut the swingarm pivot bolt off with a sawsall . 6 poached spokes on the rear wheel, used penetrant and heat but nipples are completely seized on tight. So need to order more, 3 inner and 3 outer. Does anyone know if these are the same? Can only find part # 41029A SPOKE-INNER,RR,190MMX, from service honda. Half thinking of switching to black excels. While everything is apart going to repaint swing arm and am debating about the frame. Will post pics soon when I figure out how to do it!