Proper warmup?

Got questions? We got answers....
Racing220

Proper warmup?

Post by Racing220 »

Here in Colorado it's been getting a little chilly, and I was just wondering what the correct warmup procedure is
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Proper warmup?

Post by diymirage »

not sure about the "correct" warm up procedure is but i generally kick it once, drive it out the drive way in a normal fashion and then wheelie it down the street and gun her to work ;)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

diymirage wrote:not sure about the "correct" warm up procedure is but i generally kick it once, drive it out the drive way in a normal fashion and then wheelie it down the street and gun her to work ;)
:supz:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Proper warmup?

Post by rbates9 »

If it is cold out then it wouldn't hurt to start it and let it idle while you are getting your gear on. Might need to blip the throttle a bit now and then, might not. I don't. Once mine is running and the choke is off it will idle till the gas runs out.
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

I have heard that is isn't good to warm up 2 stroke by idling.
I start it with choke, let it idle for a few seconds, choke off, and then just take it easy until the engine is warm.
Then let'r rip.

Other people I know kick it, let it idle for maybe a few seconds then run it just as hard as normal. Just seems like a good way to cold seize to me. :rolleyes:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Proper warmup?

Post by rbates9 »

Why do the people you have heard it from say that you shouldn't let a 2 stroke idle? If you have the jetting even close then there is nothing to be concerned with. A lot of people will tell you that you should not do this, or that but if they can't back up the argument then I wouldn't hold much faith in it. Do what you feel comfortable with.
cornishwrecker220

Proper warmup?

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

older bikes with steel liners take longer to warm up so it was advised to let them idle for a few minutes before riding else you risk a `cold seizure` when gunning them, modern bikes electro cylinders & better quality materials in pistons dont suffer from the above problem besides there are much better oils available nowadays which complement modern bikes...if you let a modern 2 smoke tick over for too long then you risk plug fouling & sticky powervalves etc..start it blip the throttle a few times turn choke off & ride gentle (ish) for a few minutes is the best way to warm your bike up... :grin:
tommyd
Supporting Member

Proper warmup?

Post by tommyd »

I let mine idle for a minute then ride it gently for a minute or two, mostly because until it's warm it doesn't run that great at higher RPMs. Once it's warm it runs great!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Proper warmup?

Post by SS109 »

Cold seizures (aka; four corner seizures) still happen on modern bikes with the newer materials and cylinder platings. You can read about it all the time over at TT and other forums.

Anyways, I have stated this before, there is no way in hell I would just get on my bike and rip it. My engine is still fresh so I take every precaution to make sure I don't trash a cylinder and/or piston. My procedure is to start the bike. Let it idle on choke until it will idle on it's own. Leave idling while I put on my gear. Take off riding easy and feel if it revs cleanly. If so, start ripping!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdx633
Supporting Member

Proper warmup?

Post by kdx633 »

I start mine and let it idle with the occasional throttle blip until I can feel heat in the left side radiator.
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Proper warmup?

Post by Varmint »

kdx633 wrote:I start mine and let it idle with the occasional throttle blip until I can feel heat in the left side radiator.
+1
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

older bikes with steel liners take longer to warm up so it was advised to let them idle for a few minutes before riding else you risk a `cold seizure` when gunning them, modern bikes electro cylinders & better quality materials in pistons dont suffer from the above problem besides there are much better oils available nowadays which complement modern bikes
This still holds true with tight piston clearance and forged pistons....AKA Wiseco installation....This is how they got their name 'Siezeco' it's not the factories fault.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project