Jet Reamers, worthwhile?

Got questions? We got answers....
99sr220
Supporting Member

Jet Reamers, worthwhile?

Post by 99sr220 »

Anybody using jet reamers? I was thinking about getting something like this http://classicandspeedparts.com/index.p ... &Itemid=53

I would also get a jet guarge

Jets for me are close to $10 ea, plus the ride across town to pick them up. More available and much cheaper are smaller jets for PWK28, so it should be possible to ream these.

Long term I may save money, but the most important thing is the convenience.

Any thoughts?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Jet Reamers, worthwhile?

Post by rbates9 »

PWK jets should be all the same from one carb to another, just different sizes. I would avoid using a ream to adjust your jets because you will never really know what you have if you need to replace them down the road.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Jet Reamers, worthwhile?

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:PWK jets should be all the same from one carb to another, just different sizes. I would avoid using a ream to adjust your jets because you will never really know what you have if you need to replace them down the road.
I agree 100%! You only need a few jets anyways. Order them online cheaper than you buy them local.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Jet Reamers, worthwhile?

Post by diymirage »

if jets are 10 dollars, and this set is 60 that means you can buy 6 jets (plus what you allready have) or buy the reamer and use the ones that are in the carb right now

to me, it seems better to buy the 6 jets and know where you are
besides, what if you are to rich?
then you still need to buy smaller jets

(on a side note, a set of 10 main jets runs 28.95 on ebay)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Jet Reamers, worthwhile?

Post by Julien D »

Not sure how large the PWK28 jets go in size, but they are the same jets. If you can get them in the size you need, they'll work. You can use a reamer as a last resort. No, it will not be as accurate as a purchased jet, and may have different flow characteristics. But the exact size of the jet won't matter so much as it being the exact amount of flow to get you jetted correctly.
99sr220
Supporting Member

Jet Reamers, worthwhile?

Post by 99sr220 »

The PWK28 jets stop at around 140 I think, they certainly don't go up to 150+. The biggest problem is finding the larger jets, I rode across the city the other day only to find the shop was out of stock.

Nonetheless I won't be getting the reamers, as I'd also want guages, which makes it too expensive. I suppose the 150 - 160 jetting kit is the one to buy? Any suggestions for idle jets? These have to be bought online, sent to a freind who then sends them here to me in Thailand. It makes sense to have several things sent at once, so it's best for me to get a few.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Jet Reamers, worthwhile?

Post by rbates9 »

Pilot jets from 38-45 should do what you need. 38,40,42,45, and might just as well get a new 48 if it is that big of a problem to get them.
99sr220
Supporting Member

Jet Reamers, worthwhile?

Post by 99sr220 »

Thanks for the help, I've been able to get pilot jets up to 45 for less than $2, hopefully I can get the main jets also.