fork leg nut - bottom

Got questions? We got answers....
Vintner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

fork leg nut - bottom

Post by Vintner »

I have a manual, I have searched this site, I have a 14mm allen key. I turn and turn the bottom nut on the bottom of the fork leg and it will not come out. Is there actually a thread (or was there)? I have very gently with a small flat head screw driver tried to apply downward pressure on the outside of the nut and with a larger one on the inside, where the metal meets the rubber seal, but no workie.

What am I missing or is the thread gone or is it a seal that is pressed in with an internal 14mm head on the bottom that is simply pried out with the 14mm allen?

Thanks.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

fork leg nut - bottom

Post by Slick_Nick »

You need a cartridge holding tool. Easy to make yourself. Search the interwebs.
'00 KDX 220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

fork leg nut - bottom

Post by rbates9 »

Or a impact gun.
Vintner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: fork leg nut - bottom

Post by Vintner »

I want to make sure I was clear on this. I'm just trying to remove what I think is the dust cap on the bottom of the fork, so I can check the setting (adjusted with a flat head screw driver according to the manual) on the bottom of the fork. I don't want to or didn't plan to remove the base valve.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

fork leg nut - bottom

Post by rbates9 »

On the bottom of the fork leg is the hex head. In the center of that could be a rubber plug covering the adjustment screw. You should be able to just pull the rubber plug out to get to the clicker. You do NOT need to touch the large hex to adjust the forks.
Vintner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: fork leg nut - bottom

Post by Vintner »

Thanks, I realize what I did now, in looking at it again, and I managed to pry out the rubber plug, and adjust the fork setting. Now, I realize that I will need to tighten the hex head, and I do see info on that in the forum.
Vintner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

fork leg nut - bottom

Post by Vintner »

Without removing the fork leg, I was able to use the compression method (ie compressing the fork with a tie down from the triple clamp to the axle) to re-engage the threads with the hex and a standard ratchet, then torque it to the right force. Thanks for your input.
RailwayRog
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

fork leg nut - bottom

Post by RailwayRog »

Vintner wrote:Without removing the fork leg, I was able to use the compression method (ie compressing the fork with a tie down from the triple clamp to the axle) to re-engage the threads with the hex and a standard ratchet, then torque it to the right force. Thanks for your input.
How many foot pounds are folks torquing the base valve to?