spark arrestor

Got questions? We got answers....
abc_was_here

spark arrestor

Post by abc_was_here »

Does the stock 97 kdx 220 have a spark arrestor? I've tried googling it and searching and couldnt find a straight awnser nor does it say on the pipe.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

spark arrestor

Post by rbates9 »

yes. And it should say so on the side of it.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

spark arrester

Post by pumpguy »

The stock muffler is a US Forest Service approved spark arrester. This information is stamped into the side of the muffler.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

spark arrestor

Post by diymirage »

abc_was_here wrote:Does the stock 97 kdx 220 have a spark arrestor? I've tried googling it and searching and couldnt find a straight awnser nor does it say on the pipe.
sounds to me like we are not dealing with a stock unit
all the stock units i have seen have USFS aproved stamped on it
if yours does not i dont think it is stock

if you take off the side cover is the muffler a single piece tube with rivets or screws at the ends or does it look like it was welded up out of 2 seperate pieces with no way to remove the end cap?

if its the first you have an aftermarket muffler which may or may not be USFS aproved (but if it is it should be stamped)
if its the latter you have a stock muffler, look closely, there has to be a stamp on there
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
abc_was_here

Re: spark arrestor

Post by abc_was_here »

Hmm it looks like it would be stock just because there's no information or brand name on it but I guess not the only thing it says is "not for highway use". Ill take a close look at it when I get home I may even post a picture.

Thanks
abc_was_here

Post by abc_was_here »

The silencer in this add is the exact one I've got, so I guess not stock after looking at it.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 7937468242
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

spark arrestor

Post by rbates9 »

This is what a stock silencer looks like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KDX-20 ... b7&vxp=mtr

If it is bare aluminum then it is not a stock silencer.
abc_was_here

Post by abc_was_here »

Bummer I was hoping to not have to buy another silencer lol its my spare play toy bike. Oh well a reason to make it better I guess.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

spark arrestor

Post by SS109 »

abc_was_here wrote:The silencer in this add is the exact one I've got, so I guess not stock after looking at it.

That looks like an FMF Powercore silencer
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

abc_was_here wrote:Hmm it looks like it would be stock just because there's no information or brand name on it but I guess not the only thing it says is "not for highway use". Ill take a close look at it when I get home I may even post a picture.

Thanks

that alone is a dead give away
also, keep in mind that a lot of these aftermarket mufflers use stickers to put thier name on it, something that might not hold up to the dirtriding and powerwashing we put our bike through
abc_was_here wrote:The silencer in this add is the exact one I've got, so I guess not stock after looking at it.

funny, that is clearly not a "full stock" system as they claim
i would agree that it looks like an FMF unit
i have one on my project bike and that one has the "spark arrest aporved by USFS" stamp on it
without that stamp you are not allowed on ORV trails and the DNR could ticket you for it

on a side note, most people dont believe aftermarket muffles do much for performance (other that weight loss) and prefer the quiter sound of the stock unit.
something to keep in mind when you go to replace it
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

spark arrestor

Post by rbates9 »

When you look down the outlet how far can you see down in? Can you stick a wire all the way thru it? It may have a spark arrester in it. and it very well may not.
abc_was_here

spark arrestor

Post by abc_was_here »

Oh I know about the ticket, Ive been riding the Tillamook State Forest here in Oregon since I was eight. Three things you "need" Spark arrestor, riding permit, and now a riding "license". I will just bite the bullet and buy one for this bike. Anybody have a recommendation Pro circuit or FMF? Doubt it really matter power wise on a silencer, maybe one day it will get a front pipe.

I did try sticking a small metal rod down the pipe and it stopped 3/4 of the way down and it doesnt say spark US forestry approved so Im not going to risk it the ticket cost more than the silencer.

Thanks for the help
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

FMF offers spark arrestor inserts. Maybe there is one for your silencer. Here's the link:

http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/MX/599

Of course you may need to carry the receipt for the spark arrestor to help you convince the forest rangers that you have a spark arrestor even though your pipe is not stamped with "USFS approved".