Next step.

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Next step.

Post by Dekon »

So, I ordered a FRP fork holder to do my fork seals. Waited 2 weeks and then contacted them. I was informed they will not be available for another month and a half. I really need to get this bike back together before the winter sets in up here in New England. I tried the methods others had suggested in a previous post, but nothing worked. What is my next step guys? What would you do? Thanks, Richard
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Next step.

Post by canamfan »

I gues your talking about the special tool to keep everything from spinning while you loosen the allen bolt on the bottom of the fork. if so I made one by welding a nut on a piece of 1/2 inch conduit 2' long and then welding a tee handle on the other end. it slides over the rod after you take off the fork spring and the nut fits down in the indention to keep everything from spinning while you loosen the allen. i think you can install forkseals without taking it apart though. Just pry out the old ones carefully I can't remember if there's a snapring but there usually is. If so take it out then the seal, slide the new seal over the fork tube and tap it gently into place w/ a small flat headed punch. I beleive this is what I did and have had no leaks.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Next step.

Post by Dekon »

How did you get the seals out?
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Next step.

Post by canamfan »

Remove any circlip, hold the fork tube in one hand and the slider in the other. This is after the spring has been removed and force the slider down like your trying to drive it off the tube, i believe this will pop the fork seal out. Maybe someone else will chime in. It's been awhile since i changed mine. That slider (bottom part) won't come off of course unless you use the holder tool so you can remove the allen in the bottom of the slider, you can also remove that allen with an impact wrench, usually zips it right out.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've never used a fork holder tool thingie on any fork I've taken apart. Impact wrench works great. After that is removed, and the circlip is out, you do just like canamfan said. Use the fork slider like a slide hammer. Doesn't take much force, and the seal will pop out.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Next step.

Post by Dekon »

I used an impact wrench on the valves. They are loose, but will not come out of the fork leg. When I turn the valves with a ratchet, you can hear the piece just spinning in the leg.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Next step.

Post by Dekon »

So, I got one of the fork legs apart and the seals replaced. I can not for the life of me get the other one undone. The valve is loose but then the cylinder just spins and will not loosen any more. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Do you have the spring in the fork and the cap on? If so, you could try adding some extra preload to the spring. Try adding a socket or something on top of the existing spacer and then wrestle the cap back on. Then hit it with the impact wrench.