Enduro odometer ideas?

Got questions? We got answers....
Evan_W

Enduro odometer ideas?

Post by Evan_W »

Hey guys, i've got a 94 kdx200 and im riding a timekeeping enduro this saturday... I'm 17 so i don't have a lot of money for a new factory odometer...what are some things i could use to keep track of my distance for cheap? I'm leaning towards a cheaper handheld GPS off CL. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Enduro odometer ideas?

Post by rbates9 »

Search "Trail Tech"
Evan_W

Re: Enduro odometer ideas?

Post by Evan_W »

I have looked at those... that would be perfect! the thing is.. they go from 95-07 on the kdx and i need a 94...
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Enduro odometer ideas?

Post by Rjcapt »

Do you have an iPhone?

I got a 10$ garmin gps app designed for hikers and mountain bikes. I don't ride trails without mine, it allows you to store maps (cache function) for the times when you are out of cell coverage. It's accuracy is amazing, I left it on in my pocket while I was loading the bikes after riding and you can see the outline of my truck as I walked around it. It gives an amazing amount of data, lets you put in waypoints, tells you speed and elevation changes, etc....

I keep my phone in my pocket, but I've been considering making a handlebar mount.

There may be similar apps for other phones, but I'm not sure.

Pete
Evan_W

Post by Evan_W »

That's a very good idea! I do have an iphone 4 but i don't have data. just calling and texting.. i doubt it'd still work?
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

Probably not.

Don't see why you'd need a handheld gps though. Any old school gps will give around 3 hrs of batt life and give you all the basic data you need (time speed distance) it just won't display a map.

Can't imagine you need to pay more than 25-50 bucks on CL or eBay for a used one. The base new ones are less than 100$
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Enduro odometer ideas?

Post by kdxtreme »

Key off of someone on your minute and have fun.
Did I say riding?
Evan_W

Post by Evan_W »

@rjcapt I have been looking for a gps that has odometer/speedometer features but most of them have to be plugged in (car charger) any idea of a cheap one that runs off batteries?
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

I have a tomtom and 3 garmins. They all have an internal battery and a car charger. I'm no gps expert, but I think most have a battery.

Pete
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

If you have a timekeeping race this Saturday I would not worry about trying to fool with a GPS.

I used a Chekmate II for years. Very nice unit, designed specifically for time keeping enduros with all the necessary features. I've run around 20 enduros with it.

Here how it all works out in the end:
Get a route sheet
Program the Chekmate.
The card flips over for my row and we are off.
Never worry about the chekmate again, except to look down and confirm that I am late.

All you really need to do is to ride with your row. When you come to a "reset" take a little break with your row guys if you can.
Resets are usually placed after checks to get everybody back on time and spread out. They are also usually placed before the check going into the next section, so don't think you can skip it and just go on. You get a much bigger penalty for starting a section early than finishing it late.

I will never again underestimate how physically demanding an enduro is. Eat a big breakfast, drink lots of water and bring some with you. Great fun
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Evan_W

Post by Evan_W »

That's an extremely nice setup for enduros, a little out of my price range though.. A guy I ride with has one on his '09 KTM 300. I'm just looking for something cheap that tells me how far I've gone and how fast I'm going!

Thanks for your suggestion though!
I'll definitely get one in the future when I swap my kawi for a KTM!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Oh, I was not suggesting that you get a chekmate, my point was that you don't really need anything but the ability to ride at a brisk pace for a long time.

Most series are going away from time keeping and are using the National Format. In that format you have a series of test sections that are 8 to 12 miles long. Your row has a schedule to start each section. You need to start on time which is usually easy enough. At the end of the section they check you out and record your place. You ride a short transfer section to the start of the next test section where you wait for your rows scheduled start.

The last race I went to was about 60 miles. There were 6 sections so 12 checks. The transfer sections were a 2 to 3 miles long. You could not screw around between sections, you needed to keep moving to get there on time. Nobody "zeroed" any sections because the speed average was set at 24 mph from the start. The trail was all tight ST in Clanton AL that went up, up, up and down, down, down.

All I did for time keeping was cut out the start time for each section and reset my watch so that it read 8:00 AM when my row left. I mounted the section start times in some clear packing tape and taped it to my bars.

It was a great ride. I finished with some steam left and rode some great trail. I also finished dead last in my class, B200, which does not bother this 49 year old rider at all!

Have fun!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy