Cutting fork springs, lowering

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

Hi.
I tore my fork apart, and am preparing to add spacers and cut the fork spring.
I'm going to add a 1-inch spacer to limit upper travel--i.e. lower the front by 1-inch.

(1) If I add a 1-inch spacer, how much of the spring should I cut?

(2) Is it okay to use metal washers as spacers? Do I need worry about it floating?

P.s. Fork is stock. In addition to the spacer, I intend to slide the fork up the tripple clamp by 1/2 inch. So this would give me a total lowering of 1.5-inches. Which would match the amount on the rear lowering by the Kuobo link.
2001 KDX220
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I can't answer your question about the about the fork springs but do have a question about your Kouba links. Can you tell me the new center-to-center distance these links gave you between the 2 pivot points?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Cut springs = BAD IDEA
'00 KDX 220R
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cutting fork springs, lowering

Post by Goofaroo »

Here's a link to the only source that I know of for shorter stanchion tubes:

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

You might also ask them what to do about springs. If you can't find anything you can contact Cannon Racecraft here in Oklahoma City and they can wind you a set of springs to your specific needs. He makes all the springs for Sonic Springs and he used to provide the springs for most of the other major brands until they started to outsource to China. I have used him before for a set of straight rate springs for my CB500 and my Kawasaki Concours.

I don't know much about lowering your bike but I'm sure you need to do it properly so it doesn't bottom violently or the front tire doesn't bottom into the fender. Good luck and let us know what you learn as you do your homework.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

There's nothing wrong with cutting springs. If anything, it will increase the spring rate, which the stock springs can use (although the effect will be minimal). The stock springs are really the wrong length, and the preload from the factory is a joke, so it's hard to say. I might be inclined to spacer 1" in the bottom and remove 1" from the stock preload spacer.
Ontario, Canada
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

pumpguy wrote:I can't answer your question about the about the fork springs but do have a question about your Kouba links. Can you tell me the new center-to-center distance these links gave you between the 2 pivot points?
I started a thread about lowering links a while ago that might answer your question.
Ontario, Canada
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It looks like Racetech offers the service for $225. Here's a link with a bit of info:

http://racetech.com/page/title/Lowering
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I don't see how cutting the springs and increasing the spacer length lowers the fork. If you don't increase the spacer length the preload goes negative and the spring is floating when the forks are fully extended.

You might want to rethink this.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

You put a spacer in the bottom to limit it's travel, essentially moving the bottom tube up the amount you want to lower, in it's static state. It's a very common way to lower a bike.
Ontario, Canada
kneekicker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kneekicker »

I have a side question on the springs.

I picked up a pair of XR650 springs to stiffen up front forks but the were much longer than KDX springs.....do I need to run the spacer or can it be eliminated.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

The spacer is for preloading the stock springs. It is not required if you run a proper length and rate spring.
Ontario, Canada
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

I added a spacer to lower the fork by 1". (see blue arrow) Space is made out of two pieces of cheap nylon
plastic from Lowes. I hope it's strong enough. It doesn't fit well either. It'll have to do until I find something
more suitable.

2001 KDX220