KX Swingarm/Suspension

Got questions? We got answers....
mposs

KX Swingarm/Suspension

Post by mposs »

Hi,
I have a 1998 KDX200 fitted with 1999 KX125 forks. What I would like to know is if it is possible to fit a KX swingarm, linkages and shock to the KDX. I have read the hybrid forums and understand that the rear mount of the engine would need to be bored out to suit the larger swingarm pivot bolt. Any ideas on what else would require modification or is it all just to hard?
Cheers Mark
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

KX Swingarm/Suspension

Post by Rjcapt »

My question would be why?

I built a hybrid and the reasons (as I understand them) is to improve the overall geometry of the bike. Just replacing the swing arm wouldn't (IMHO) improve anything.

The work needed would be:
Ream the case and frame for the larger bolt
Machine the swing arm and spacers for the wider case
Possibly machine outer spacers (not sure if the overall diameter of the kx swing arm is narrower than the kdx)
Relace the kx hub for an 18" wheel (not necessary I guess, but I want to avoid pinch flats in the woods riding I do. That and I can run a trials tire on the 18)
You would check to see if the kx shock will work (proper length)

Seems like a lot of work for no real benefit to me. Do a hybrid. I absolutely love mine. Light, flickable and with my race tech suspension mods, handles like a dream.

I also have a kdx with kx forks (as well as an xr400 with kx forks) and they are great bikes too, I just don't want to ride them anymore.....

Pete
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: KX Swingarm/Suspension

Post by KarlP »

When I was planning my fork swap and/or hybrid build I looked into the same idea.
I had an '03 KDX and a '95 KX 125, both running well.

I ended up putting the KX forks on the KDX and the KDX forks on the KX and still had two running bikes.
When I looked at doing swingarm/rear shock work I realized that the KDX swingarm/linkage/shock works just fine on the KDX and that there would be no gain from trying to change it.

I ended up trading the KX for a CR frame and making a hybrid out of that.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
mposs

Re: KX Swingarm/Suspension

Post by mposs »

Thanks for the input. The only reason I was considering the KX rear suspension was that I have the parts sitting here and thought it might be an improvement over the standard KDX rear end. Not having ridden a kX125 was assuming it would be better. Obviously not worth the effort.
The roller 1999 KX I purchased was only bare frame, wheels, brakes and suspension. Don't want to spend the money chasing everything else to suit as the KDX is just a playbike for myself and something for the daughter to ride if she comes out with me.
Love the hybrid idea though.