Cracked coolant reservoir

Got questions? We got answers....
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

I have a 1997 KDX 220 with a cracked coolant reservoir.
Could I just toss it?
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Yep, but it's nice to have the extra capacity.
Did I say riding?
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

Why dont you try plastic welding it with a soldering iron, since you are planing on throwing it away anyway it won't hurt to give it a try. If you dont know how to plastic weld search it on youtube, It is a very simple and effective process.
Cheers
Aaron
teamgreen

Re: Cracked coolant reservoir

Post by teamgreen »

The reservoir tank was brittle from old age, so when I dropped the bike on a boulder it shattered the tank broke tabs off pushed into my radiator just a big mess.
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

I run one on my kdx, but don't run one on my hybrid.

Every 2 or 3 rides I have to add a tblspn or so to the hybrid.

The tank is just a recovery system. Any time the bike gets hot enough and builds enough pressure in the system, the cap acts as a pressure relief valve and vents the radiator. Any coolant that comes out in this process is captured by the tank and returned to the radiator when it cools. If it isn't captured, it's vented and lost and must be replaced manually.

There is no mechanical advantage to having one unless you don't regularly maintain the coolant level. If your cooling system is in good shape, cap, fins, hoses, etc I personally don't see the need unless maybe if you're running in extremely hot temps and the cooling system is taxed to begin with.

Pete
teamgreen

Re: Cracked coolant reservoir

Post by teamgreen »

Thanks guys for the quick replys, upgraded my cap to a 1.4 bar used to overheat before that but not a drop since the new cap. Good to know. Now I can toss the reservoir and check coolant everytime I change oil or clean filter.