nicked my USD forks.

Got questions? We got answers....
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

nicked my USD forks.

Post by newbbewb »

just had the left leg(caliper side) 93 USD forks start leaking a bit. After getting into it, noticed there is a bit of a nick. I cleaned her up best i could with sandpaper to take the sharp parts out. What do you guys recommend trying before i start on it?

I would like to save these if possible, i just had racetech springs and full service performed. I then proceeded to fall into a rock pit :-)
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

nicked my USD forks.

Post by kdxtreme »

Have a suspension tuner fix them I had motopro fix the ones on my ktm a while back they polish them out rather than sand them.
Did I say riding?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: nicked my USD forks.

Post by Tedh98 »

I've never done this, but I've heard of people filling the nick with super glue and then sanding it with very fine wet sandpaper - like 2000-4000 grit.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I've used a wet-stone to polish mine out successfully - if the nick isn't too deep.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

nicked my USD forks.

Post by rbates9 »

If the nick is too deep to just remove the bur and smooth out then you could use silver solder to fill in the bad spot and then smooth it back out. This has been used for years as a quick fix for hydraulic cylinder rods with success.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Thanks all for the input. I know I can send em out, but spending that kind of time and money, again, on these forks.... Not going to happen. I'd get kx forks.

Super glue is an interesting idea. There is a void in the metal that needs to be filled in order to stop/slow the leak until this winter.

Silver solder I have no experience with and sounds like it could be more stable fix. Is there a good brand/style I would want to use? I take it flux core solder and my weller iron aren't going to do it. After research, it looks like it's basically brazing?? So use a MAPP gas torch?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

nicked my USD forks.

Post by kdxtreme »

Where are you in washington theres a few tuners in the area that you could take them to personally. TBT, EVO, LTRacing, Pro Race Suspension, MotoPro, NOST, to name a few good luck
Did I say riding?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

nicked my USD forks.

Post by rbates9 »

Silver solder is more of a "brazing" method but with solder. Give a try on something you don't care about that much and you can get the hang of it. And as far as brand you could go to a welding supply shop and ask them what they would recommend.