Hard wire lights

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hard wire lights

Post by Dekon »

Just wondering if I can hard wire my headlight and tail light without a switch.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Hard wire lights

Post by kdxtreme »

My ktm was like that so was my gas gas.
Did I say riding?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hard wire lights

Post by rbates9 »

Yup.

I think that if you follow the leeds from the switch you will find that it plugs into the harness with two "bullet" connectors that are opposite each other so you should be able to just unplug the switch and plug the two harness ends back together and be all set.

I could be thinking about something else, but take a look and see if I remember right. All the switch does is connect the two wires together so it won't affect anything to jump them together.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hard wire lights

Post by Dekon »

Mine didn't have a switch when I got it, and I do have the shop manual for it so I know which wires to connect together. Wasn't sure if it was OK to hardwire them.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hard wire lights

Post by rbates9 »

All the switch does is "hard wire" them on demand. Bulb life may be reduced but not by much. The stator should be fine with close to stock output bulbs. If you want you could go for a LED tail light to reduce the load but I don't think it is needed.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Hard wire lights

Post by Dekon »

I was going to go for a LED tail light. First I want to make sure the electrics work. Eventually, I will probably rewind the stator like others have done on here. I have a MSR voltage regulator to install since 89's never came with one. I have seen a few posts on installing them but I just want to make sure I can do it this way. All I need to do is connect the yellow wires together(the one from the VR and the one from the stator) and the brown will go to ground. Basically I am going to put it in the air box and splice (basically "T" it in) the yellow in before any of the other electrics, correct. The ground I was thinking of putting where all the other grounds come together on the frame. Does this sound right?