2000 KX 250

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

2000 KX 250

Post by KDXer »

I have been helping a friend find a bike so I have someone to ride with. We test rode a 1994 CR250 a few weeks ago and it was an absolute bucket. I gave it a thrashing because the goose told us it was great condition, HA the back brakes and kick starter were fugged for starters LIAR. Almost everything on it needed attention. He wanted $2650 I offered him $1200 and left my number. Needless to say its back in the paper for $2200 this week. :lol: Today we drove 2 hours away to check out a 1994 KX250, it was very well looked after but very pricey also, $2750. The good news is (if you can't tell by the topics name) we pick up his 2000 KX250 at 8.30am. I talked him down from $3750 to $3000 before we even looked at it. :supz:

Has anyone got any info they can offer on this model ??

Any suspension pros / cons Jason ??

I appreciate your help on this guys as it will be stored at my place and maintained by myself. At least I get some practice on this beast before mounting your beast Jerry. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That year was a favorite among off-roaders, but not as much in the MX dept(stock). Smooth motor and soft susp are the reasons for above. Here's a review I dug up:

2000 KAWASAKI KX250
Long a favorite in the engine department, the 2000 KX250 is a gentle powerhouse. Kawasaki is guilty of letting down its guard and letting the rest of the bike become dated. The suspension is ridiculously soft at both ends. It finished fourth in the 2000 250 shootout.
TEST BIKE WEIGHT, NO FUEL: 230 lb.
PEAK HORSEPOWER: 45.5 @ 7500 rpm
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks for that info Fuzz !!!

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sounds like you will be having some fun Trev.

Here's what I am currently doing to my 2002 KX250.
First, it's the same bike as your friend's. 1999 to 2002 were the L series. All parts are all the same.

I have the clutch apart to send into Garry at EFM for the autoclutch treatment. The clutch is simple to work on and an air impact wrench will spin the nut off, no problem. If you are going to get your KDX clutch modded up this way, send in both and recieve a $50 off each clutch for the order. (Don't tell your friend and apply the whole $100 to your order.)

My next mod is to send the barrel and head into Eric Gorr and get the 310cc big bore kit. I've read up on it on the other site and the guys who did it rave about it. Here's why:
The bore job lower's the porting by the nature of the port routes. As the barrel widens the port route is coming up from below so that lowers the ports. Shaving the base does the same thing without the bore. The report is that the KX turns into a low to mid rpm tractor with tons of horsepower without loosing any topend and overrev. The KIPS is also shaved to match the bored barrel so it won't interfere with the piston and rings. The piston is a standard overbore from wiseco, so that's an off-the-shelf item. The head is reshaped to compensate for the larger bore cylinder and the squishband is reshaped as well to accomidate race gas or to offset higher altitude riding by increasing compression. This is almost a must for anyone riding at 5000ft elevations or above.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote: My next mod is to send the barrel and head into Eric Gorr and get the 310cc big bore kit. I've read up on it on the other site and the guys who did it rave about it. Here's why:
The bore job lower's the porting by the nature of the port routes. As the barrel widens the port route is coming up from below so that lowers the ports. Shaving the base does the same thing without the bore. The report is that the KX turns into a low to mid rpm tractor with tons of horsepower without loosing any topend and overrev. The KIPS is also shaved to match the bored barrel so it won't interfere with the piston and rings. The piston is a standard overbore from wiseco, so that's an off-the-shelf item. The head is reshaped to compensate for the larger bore cylinder and the squishband is reshaped as well to accomidate race gas or to offset higher altitude riding by increasing compression. This is almost a must for anyone riding at 5000ft elevations or above.
That KX is going to be hoot to ride when you get it done Ski.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sounds great, Trev. I suggest you all sit forward, lean forward and THROTTLE CONTROL may be necessary. :mrgreen:

As far as suspension, on the forks bladder and midvalve modification seem to be the normal mods from what I have read on the forks.

That's good that it will be kept at your house.

If you get it, try to check a few things out before you ride the knobs off of it. :lol:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

All great info guys, THANKS. You got that right Mo !! I will keep all that info on hand Ski but I doubt I could get it done over here. Our suitcases coming over and back are goin to raise a few eyebrows. LOL. They're gonna think I'm trying to ship back a parted out bike in our suitcases. :rolleyes: Will an electric rattle gun work Ski ?? J/K... Again guys, great info.... Thanks...

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

ski, I think they wouldn't exactly have "All parts are all the same. " KX families are very different than KDX families. They update them quite often. Just look at the forks for example. Besides tube diameters. the internals are different.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You are right Jason. I think what I meant to say is that in the L series all the parts (major components) are interchangeable. Such as, forks from one year will fit any year in the series. Just about all the parts are the same part #'s according to buykawasaki.com.

Thanks for the correction.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

No confusion here. :wink: I knew what you meant. The 2000 I believe were the first bladder fork in the KX's, the 2000 has a stronger conrod than the 99, different porting to the 99, jetting, etc etc... Oh and guess what ?!? The 00 KX's have shonky lower shock bearings too. Someone said they were replacing theirs 3 times a year, they're as bad as you CC. :razz: Thanks again Jason and Jerry.

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, I want EG to do a 265 for me w/ mo tractabality porting....Maybe this winter.

My junk needs replated so it's just an obvious move :mrgreen:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

We bought the bike. I get some pics up soon.

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sweet. Even though I'm partial to blue MX 250's, I think that era KX is the bext close ratio choice for woods work...
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Fuz,
An earlier year (pre 99) first and second gear turns a 99-02 KX into a wide ratio tranny. I'm thinking about it. I'll need the gear shaft and the two gears. Anyone knowing of where I can find them, let me know.
Jerry

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You should be able to order them front Bike Bandit or a Kawi dealer if you've got a part number.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That's awesome I'll keep my eye out....That era KX might just be my next bike :mrgreen: The blue 250's will accept the WR's trans, but w/ some mild machine work. I'd rather it be a bolt-in job.